Which combo to take a closer look at...

skatalite

• Members

I want a small combo for my room, and I'm thinking 40+ watts would be best. I'll be using a SansAmp through it, so out-of-the-box tone isn't as important as reliability and awesomeness.

Here are the ones I'm interested in. Let me know what you guys think or, if you have any other suggestions, suggest! My limit is $200.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-BT50-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=487805

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Ultrabass-BXL450-45W-1x10-Bass-Combo?sku=481100

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nemesis-N8-40W-1x8-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=488215

• Members

Well, if what your saying is you want a personal practice amp for home use mostly, then with your budget, I'd give Peavey's new 1x12 a try. I thought it sounded pretty nice ...especially for the price.

If you had a bigger budget, I'd be looking at Roland's Cube 100, or Ashdown's Perfect Ten as well.

• Members

No Crate of Behringer!!! Why not just get a 1X12 cab and use your GK head?

Cause I keep everything at our practice space, so it would be a small hassle to bring my entire rack home for practice.

And I'm just looking for something cheap but decent. I will never use it at a gig and it will probably never leave my room. I won't crank it, either. But I want something loud enough to fill some air.

• Members

Well, if what your saying is you want a personal practice amp for home use mostly, then with your budget, I'd give Peavey's new 1x12 a try. I thought it sounded pretty nice ...especially for the price.

If you had a bigger budget, I'd be looking at Roland's Cube 100, or Ashdown's Perfect Ten as well.

Yeah...+1 on all of those suggestions. I understand you not wanting to lug the rack back and forth...

• Members

I know a lot of people will jump on the Nemesis (because of the name) but the Crate and the Behringer would probably out-perform it because they specialize in good-cheap combos. My Behringer BX300 (30w, 10" speaker) absolutely smokes and is built well. The Crate is very cool because it has 2 channels and a built-in tuner. In a pinch you could probably rehearse with it because it has extra power and a 12" speaker.

I would go with the Crate but you can try both of them out at Guitar Center before you choose.

• Members

I love my Peavey MAX 112 combo, but I am biased since I grew up down the street from the Peavey plant in Meridian, MS... Its plenty loud to practice at home and I started just this week using it for rehearsals with a new church group and I was told to turn it down by the leader :p

Archived