OT: Do you have any other rather expensive hobbies/passions?

skatalite

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Golf and cycling. Cycling is actually not that bad once you buy a bike and the gear. Even organized rides are usually not all that much to register for. Golf, there is another story. The golf equipment makers have the planned obsolescence thing down pat! Every year a new and better driver, ball or iron comes out. Bigget golf expense was a 3 week trip to Scotland. The exchange rate currently sucks! Had a great time but pretty expensive trip.

• Members

Golf and cycling. Cycling is actually not that bad once you buy a bike and the gear. Even organized rides are usually not all that much to register for. Golf, there is another story. The golf equipment makers have the planned obsolescence thing down pat! Every year a new and better driver, ball or iron comes out. Bigget golf expense was a 3 week trip to Scotland. The exchange rate currently sucks! Had a great time but pretty expensive trip.

I thought drop testing was a hobby of yours - I hear that can get expensive! :p

• Members

Photography. Even though I used to be a "pro" and a photojournalist. The equipment can be damn expensive if you don't have a paper to supply it for you.

I've bought and sold photo equipment over the years, but now I'm camera-less again except for an old 8x10 Deardorff field camera. I'll never get rid of that. Oh, and the best piece of photo equipment I've ever had I'll never get rid of either: my beloved Domke F-2 camera bag.

Since I became a photo editor, most of my gear has gravitated toward 6x6 or 6x9 stuff, Mamiya's, Rollei's, and Fuji's. And of course Domke's in various states of wear... Most it I sort of acquired over the years, trades and stuff. I would dread having to buy new digital gear.

• Members

I collect baseball cards and I'm trying to get every Brooks Robinson card, although my music gear has cut down on the disposable income I have for cards.

speaking of cards, where does one go to sell them? I know you can do it on ebay, but you dont get a lot. I want to go to some professional place to get a decent estimate.

• Members

OMG! That's my dream car! I've always wanted one of those. Didn't think there were any in the US. I used to have a CX25 back in England. Now I'm jealous
drool.gif

That's a 1972 Break with w/ BVH and factory A/C. To the right is a '57 Traction Avant parts car for my '53 Belgian-built 11BL. I also have a '68 ID19B but need a drivers door after an old lady backed her Lincoln into it and drove off. CX's were imported into the US in the early '80s. There's quite a few Citroens in Georgia.

• Members

i wish i could. my frineds and i are planning a trip out west this coming season. they went to whistler BC lastyear but i didnt have the $1200 for plane/hotel/tix to do it, plus the $400 or $500 for spending.

{censored}, you could do a week in CO for alot less than that.

If you want to come to CO, buy the Vail Resorts Colorado Pass. I don't know what the cost is for non-residents, but it's unlimited days at Keystone, Breckenridge, and Arapahoe Basin, and 10 free days at Vail or Beaver Creek. The 10 free days is worth twice the cost of the pass for residents; it's like $350 for the pass, and Beaver Creek is more than $70 for a peak season day pass.:eek:

You could essentially ride 5 of the best mountains in the state in a week, and all the resorts are within 60 minutes of each other. You even drive by Copper Mountain on the way to Vail from Breck, that's another sick mountain. Stay in Dillon at the Super 8 and the longest drive you'll have is about 45 minutes if you got to Beaver Creek. There's also a free shuttle from Dillon to Breck and Keystone so you don't even have to rent a car if you don't want to.

If you're really adventurous, you can rent snowmobiles and go back into Vail Pass, and ride gigantic powder fields and drop cornices.:idea:

C7

• Members

You need to move to CO or UT. It's seriously like 30 minutes from Salt Lake City to the lift at Park City.

From Denver to Breckenridge is 1.5 hours if there's no traffic.

C7

Plus the snow is 500 times better than anywhere back east.

• Members

I forgot to mention cycling. Not expensive though- I bought a good nike second hand (Dawes Super Galaxy) and just take good care of it. Virtually free hobby!

Where did you go in Scotland? I used to live in Dornoch which has supposedly one of the best courses in Scotland, perhaps second only to St Andrews. Not that I have ever picked up a golf club in my life...

Archived