OT: Do you have any other rather expensive hobbies/passions?

skatalite

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gear (duh) (passion)

Riding bikes (mountain and road...very expensive...hobby)

Skiing (hobby)

Cars & Trucks - I just got my truck last week, and I've already bought an exhaust, intake, and programmer. I just had the front windows tinted to match the rear, and there are a few more small things I want to get for it. (passion/hobby)

Computers (hobby/work)

My wife (passion)

• Members

Not so much a hobby for me as it is my life, but (don't laugh) competitive Ultimate (frisbee) takes up tons of time and money for me. My team is from Baltimore and we travel as far as Chicago, Boston, and Canada for tournaments. Flights, hotel rooms and food for those kinda weekends tend to be expensive for me, considering I don't have a real job yet. Not to mention I'm playing pretty much every night of the week, so can't take any jobs as a waiter. I'm actually walking dogs right now, which helps.

But hey, Ultimate is why I moved to this area after school in the first place, so I'm about as happy as I've ever been.

• Members

Comic books. I love them. I can't get enough of them, especially the superhero stuff. But man are those {censored}ers expensive! Now that I'm back in Canada they're about $5/issue which is just ridiculous. No wonder the industry is dying. I actually had to quit buying my monthly issues because they were seriously damaging my budget - I was spending about $500/month on comics!!! Now I either just wait until a story is collected in a graphic novel (still expensive, but nowhere near as bad), or I download them off the 'net which I hate doing because I feel like I'm stealing from an industry I really want to support, but then again, in a way they're stealing from me by charging $5 for a 24 page magazine...

• Members

For me, it would have to be golf, although it doesn't have to be expensive. I've been able to find some good deals by prepaying for tee times online and bidding on tee time auctions. I also purchase used balls from lostgolfballs.com.

If anybody is looking for some good deals on clubs or other golf items, check out www.rockbottomgolf.com .

• Members

Photography. Even though I used to be a "pro" and a photojournalist. The equipment can be damn expensive if you don't have a paper to supply it for you.

I've bought and sold photo equipment over the years, but now I'm camera-less again except for an old 8x10 Deardorff field camera. I'll never get rid of that. Oh, and the best piece of photo equipment I've ever had I'll never get rid of either: my beloved Domke F-2 camera bag.

• Members

skiing was really expensive last season. i made about 10 trips to VT which cost at least $250 each time, not including lift tickets, i had a season pass.

You need to move to CO or UT. It's seriously like 30 minutes from Salt Lake City to the lift at Park City.

From Denver to Breckenridge is 1.5 hours if there's no traffic.

C7

• Members

Photography. Right now, my investment is sitting around $3000...and I have a small rig. Now that I'm shooting film as well as digital, film and processing prices add to the pain.

Plus, I'll probably upgrade my digital rig in the next few years, which will probably be around a $3000-$4000 overhaul in and of itself. :eek:

And expensive stereo equipment can be an issue, too. :D

Dustin

• Members

Astronomy and astro-photography are not cheap hobbies. I haven't spent a lot on this lately.

And for Captain Fathead, I too work in video/film, but I never use a home camcorder for anything much, and luckily my boss allows us to borrow gear if we need it.:thu:

• Members

Astronomy and astro-photography are not cheap hobbies. I haven't spent a lot on this lately.

And for Captain Fathead, I too work in video/film, but I never use a home camcorder for anything much, and luckily my boss allows us to borrow gear if we need it.
:thu:

Part of my job is working with video, albeit in a small, non-profit shop. It will be interesting when we have to go to HD...

• Members

And for Captain Fathead, I too work in video/film, but I never use a home camcorder for anything much, and luckily my boss allows us to borrow gear if we need it.
:thu:

I'm a freelancer... mainly editing. I had to make the jump and get Final Cut Pro on my home computer. As for cameras and lights, renting them can get a bit expensive.

• Members

You need to move to CO or UT. It's seriously like 30 minutes from Salt Lake City to the lift at Park City.

From Denver to Breckenridge is 1.5 hours if there's no traffic.

C7

i wish i could. my frineds and i are planning a trip out west this coming season. they went to whistler BC lastyear but i didnt have the $1200 for plane/hotel/tix to do it, plus the $400 or $500 for spending.

Archived