OT: Do you have any other rather expensive hobbies/passions?

skatalite

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't necessarily have any hobbies outside of music, although I guess I could count graphic design as a hobby of mine. The programs (adobe photoshop and illustrator, macromedia flash and dreamweaver) are damn expensive.

• Members

First, I collect hobbies that require expensive gear. Next, travel. Sailing, and sail boats. A house full of tools, including a garage with a mini machine shop. Painting, and all the art equipment, materials expenses, shows, etc. Dental work. (Honest! At one point, it was just a painful pain in the ass. Now, after years and mega bucks, my teeth look pretty good, and don't hurt!) And maybe soon, a new house. (Then again, maybe not.)

edit:

I should throw in my neck, jesus, if that hasn't been an expensive past-time for the last 14+ F@#*!ng years!

• Members

Hmm...let's see here.

Tech. I want a 32 or 27" HDTV for my TV/computer monitor.

I want an Xbox 360 SO FREAKIN BAD

I want to fully upgrade my computer to dual core. AMD 64X2 ftw.

Cars.

I have about 3k I want to spend on my little Honda...and that's not including the stuff to turbo AND supercharge it when i get there...

Gaming.

Not video games. Card games. Mostly Pirates of the Spanish Main (if you like pirates or strategy board games, try it, you won't ever regret it except when you look at your wallet). WoW card game and Iron Kingdoms. I have a Star Wars miniatures team for when I play, but I traded other crap for that.

Yeah...pretty expensive for a 19 y/o on part time work making 7.25 an hour with a state school on his ass for 6 grand....and I haven't put anything toward anything but school and expenses (necessary) for about 2 months now.

• Members

Hmm...let's see here.

Tech. I want a 32 or 27" HDTV for my TV/computer monitor.

I want an Xbox 360 SO FREAKIN BAD

I want to fully upgrade my computer to dual core. AMD 64X2 ftw.

Cars.

I have about 3k I want to spend on my little Honda...and that's not including the stuff to turbo AND supercharge it when i get there...

Gaming.

Not video games. Card games. Mostly Pirates of the Spanish Main (if you like pirates or strategy board games, try it, you won't ever regret it except when you look at your wallet). WoW card game and Iron Kingdoms. I have a Star Wars miniatures team for when I play, but I traded other crap for that.

Yeah...pretty expensive for a 19 y/o on part time work making 7.25 an hour with a state school on his ass for 6 grand....and I haven't put anything toward anything but school and expenses (necessary) for about 2 months now.

Turbo AND Super?:freak:

• Members

Don't have time or money for any these days. I still pick up some DVDs and books for my libraries of those from time to time, but everything other than music has fallen by the wayside really.

I do smoke a (tobacco) pipe rather prodigiously, but while this can be a very expensive hobby (people who buy artisan pipes and have huge tobacco cellars), I smoke cheap pipes and good tobacco in small quantities. I don't know if this counts as a hobby.

• Members

Turbo AND Super?
:freak:

Heh...yeah. The turbo is gonna be frickin massive so it spools and doesn't give out power until the super starts to lose it's efficiency. Basically, my thought and plans are that the super will have the power for your accel (kills turbo lag) and the turbo will kick in for your high end power as well. Effectively giving you no lag time and full power band through all RPM ranges. The fun part is figuring out the PSI to run the turbo at to keep it from blowing the motor by putting too much power to the supercharger (basically making sure it doesn't spool too early or push too hard) and then translating that into torque. I'm thinking of using an air and water intercooler...and icing down the resevoir for the water to keep the air into the motor as cool as possible too. It's a serious project though...and I'm thinking I may have to buy a designated Civic hatch shell and D16Z6 motor to work with it on...because doing that to a daily driver just isn't a good idea...plus I'll have to run 91 octane all the time...and it'll get horrid gas mileage. But it is realistically possible if you can get it to work correctly like I'm trying.

• Members

While it's...possible......I'd imagine ignition mapping is going to be a bitch and a half. If a super/turbo combo was a viable option, I'm sure you'd see people doing it. With a V-TEC engine, I'd suggest getting a smaller turbo with less lag, because once you get to the point that the turbo peaks out you're going to be into variable-valve territory and then the motor takes over.

(I'm looking at putting a Stage 4 BBM super kit in my Corrado, btw. Looking at 400whp with 91 octane pump gas).

• Members

^ you would be better off running a large turbo on a built motor with forged internals, etc. and using a nitrous system to eliminate turbo lag. if you are going to be using a big turbo, then it will probably be for some sort of racing (drag most likely?) and you could just get some sort of launch control/anti-lag setup anyways to built boost off the line so you wouldn't have to worry as much about the lag.

anyways, if you didn't figure it out yet, i've got plenty of expensive hobbies that suck me dry. cars (just sold my 425hp WRX STi a few months ago), my motorcycle (95 suzuki intruder 800), mountain biking (down every weekend with something broken), golfing (if you can even call it that at this point). eesh... i gotta quit.

• Members

^ you would be better off running a large turbo on a built motor with forged internals, etc. and using a nitrous system to eliminate turbo lag. if you are going to be using a big turbo, then it will probably be for some sort of racing (drag most likely?) and you could just get some sort of launch control/anti-lag setup anyways to built boost off the line so you wouldn't have to worry as much about the lag.

anyways, if you didn't figure it out yet, i've got plenty of expensive hobbies that suck me dry. cars (just sold my 425hp WRX STi a few months ago), my motorcycle (95 suzuki intruder 800), mountain biking (down every weekend with something broken), golfing (if you can even call it that at this point). eesh... i gotta quit.

Yeah, but this sounds like it's going to be his daily...

• Members

Yeah, but this sounds like it's going to be his daily...

heh, if it's a daily then he'd be better off just going with a simple turbo or blower setup and leaving the dual-charge setup for another car. there are plenty of built hondas running around on the streets with t3/t4 setups that can put down some nice power that aren't THAT laggy (for a honda). displacement is key and since hondas don't have that, they suffer unfortunately. they make up for it by revving high.

• Members

While it's...possible......I'd imagine ignition mapping is going to be a bitch and a half. If a super/turbo combo was a viable option, I'm sure you'd see people doing it. With a V-TEC engine, I'd suggest getting a smaller turbo with less lag, because once you get to the point that the turbo peaks out you're going to be into variable-valve territory and then the motor takes over.

(I'm looking at putting a Stage 4 BBM super kit in my Corrado, btw. Looking at 400whp with 91 octane pump gas).

Yeah...I know...but....but...I want to say I've done it and it works well...hahah. I know it's dumb...and you're very right that I'll probably just throw a T3/T4 turbo on it and call it done with that and some other mods...but just the thought of the induced power...the current build doesn't have much on it...but that'll change when I get the money. Next steps for the motor are intake mani (Edelbrock Performer X), then headers maybe (already 4-2-1...no point in really doin much to em). When I go turbo I'll be throwing a fuel rail (AEM) with a matching fuel pump, possibly new cams/rods/heads/springs (depends on if it's a daily driver or track car...) as well as the obvious things that go with turbo. Should be pretty fun to drive and fast to boot. When I do that I'm gonna get an AEM chip and get it tuned up nice and get an AEM boost controller and have it so I can switch between anywhere from 0-16ish PSI on the boost without power loss thanks to AEM's great systems...but again, that depends on if it's a daily driver or not...though I think it'd be fun either way to pull up next to someone that barely took me with turbo off or low, tweak it up to 16 psi and then smoke em. Before I work on the motor though, I'm gonna go ahead and get all my interior and exterior stuff done...which is all minor styling mostly...but racing seats and harnesses will be kinda necessary at the track if I get it running good...oh, and btw, the D16Z6 is a Vtec motor...but since i'm throwing a CEL for a catalytic converter "issue" it doesn't always engage...

EDIT:

and for those who noticed my leave of absence for a few weeks...you now all know where it was...I've been fantasizing/sizing up this project...and seeing what all I can do and learn and how much it's gonna cost...

• Members

not trying to call you out as I remember the STI, but how are you arriving at 425hp? 'stock' they are rated at 293hp, you gotta work hard to get that next 132 out of

• Members

not trying to call you out as I remember the STI, but how are you arriving at 425hp? 'stock' they are rated at 293hp, you gotta work hard to get that next 132 out of

the 2004 I had was rated at 300hp (which is essentially the same, just different because of SAE ratings). it really doesn't take much to get power out of the 2.5L since it's turbocharged, and there are LOADS of companies out there with parts of them. it wasn't as much of an investment as you'd think. i was running an FP green turbo (which wouldn't make much sense to anyone who probably doesn't know subarus), an alcohol injection kit, as well as the rest of the goodies that have to go with it (front mount intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, intake, turboback exhaust) and I had two custom tunes done through a local subaru shop... one for street (conservative) and one for track. the street was running 19~ psi with no alky injection, and the track setup was running 24psi with a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol/water. the car ran great and i miss it but it just wasn't really practical for my needs anymore. i shopped wisely and got a lot of parts second-hand through friends and whatnot.

• Members

I agree with ASS. I'm running a 2.9L VR6 @ 200hp/200 lb/ft of torque as it is and I plan to have about 400 when I'm done with my project. It's perfectly do-able. I don't think the cost is the point. Half the fun is getting your car to that point.

Archived