Would you bid?

RSBro

• Members

If had the money and the means, yes. I'd do it. I want an ABG so bad, just to avoid hassling with cords and turning things on and messing with knobs when I want to do basic practice. :D

Edit:

I love you, i_wanna_les_paul.

Mornings in Chemistry are going to be so fun. :p

• Members
What haven't you liked about them?

Volume is the biggie. All that I have played would get lost under a couple of acoustic guitarists. If I have to plug in, I'm going to choose something slimmer, like the Godins that will have a piezo for similar tone. The biggest thing is none of the acoustics have "done it" for me. There has to be something that clicks for me to buy an instrument. ABG's haven't done that for me...yet, anyway...YMMV.Dustin

• Members

Volume is the biggie. All that I have played would get lost under a couple of acoustic guitarists. If I have to plug in, I'm going to choose something slimmer, like the Godins that will have a piezo for similar tone. The biggest thing is none of the acoustics have "done it" for me. There has to be something that clicks for me to buy an instrument. ABG's haven't done that for me...yet, anyway...

YMMV.

Dustin

Ah, so it's a combination.

I wouldn't be springing more than mid-line Dean money at this point, because I just want/need a beater for school and practice. That guy is playing the mid-line Dean I speak of. The EABC or whatever. I dig. :)

I've never really tried any sort of piezo system. *scours crappy local outfits for basses with piezos*

• Members
Ah, so it's a combination.

I wouldn't be springing more than mid-line Dean money at this point, because I just want/need a beater for school and practice. That guy is playing the mid-line Dean I speak of. The EABC or whatever. I dig.
:)

I've never really tried any sort of piezo system. *scours crappy local outfits for basses with piezos*

The only reason I mention the piezo is some guys like to plug their AGB's in, and if that's what I'd do primarily, I'd find a bass a touch better suited for that application.Seeing how acoustic instruments vary greatly within a single model from a single brand, there may be some louder instruments out there...I just haven't found any yet :D

• Members

Gee wankery on an acoustic bass guitar.........

but can he play bass?

I've never had a spark for onewither, I got my upright, and I love it, now that's an acoustic bass for ya!

That a Cello suite from Bach... sooo... Yeah, he can play bass. He's doing it, right before our very eyes. Root-fifth-root-major scale fill isn't what bass is limited to. I guess you're not a big Wooten fan.

• Members

Yeah. I guess that's more a cosmetic deal, though, wouldn't you say? It just struck up an interest in piezo systems.
:)

Not just cosmetic - ABG's are large instruments that have a very different feel from electric counterparts - depending on the specific body size, the reach around the body (okay, leave that alone) can feel a bit odd to me.

And if I were looking at any acoustic instrument, I'd ignore price tags, play everything that I can get my hands on and buy the best instrument I find, no matter if it's $200 or $2000 (that's why I'd save lots of money before I went shopping :D).

• Members

Not just cosmetic - ABG's are large instruments that have a very different feel from electric counterparts - depending on the specific body size, the reach around the body (okay, leave that alone) can feel a bit odd to me.

And if I were looking at any acoustic instrument, I'd ignore price tags, play everything that I can get my hands on and buy the best instrument I find, no matter if it's $200 or $2000 (that's why I'd save lots of money before I went shopping
:D
).

I know that they are biggies. I'm comfortable with it, haha. :)

I WOULD do that, but, as I said, beater and SCHOOL. Nothing that would make me feel castrated if it were to be damaged. :p

• Members

That a Cello suite from Bach... sooo... Yeah, he can play bass. He's doing it, right before our very eyes. Root-fifth-root-major scale fill isn't what bass is limited to. I guess you're not a big Wooten fan.

No, I love Wooten, and all the top guys , I'm just tired of people videoing these useless tapping versions of classical music, it doesn't impress me. that's all.

Look up Tom Kennedy doing 'the chicken' on Youtube, starts off with a super funky walk and then takes off into the stratosphere. It's still wankery, but it's more impressive than most. I've seen a longer version, which really goes into the 'too much of the same thing' category, but tha's what I like to see. just my personal preference.....

• Members

No, I love Wooten, and all the top guys , I'm just tired of people videoing these useless tapping versions of classical music, it doesn't impress me. that's all.

\nLook up
Tom Kennedy doing 'the chicken'
on Youtube, starts off with a super funky walk and then takes off into the stratosphere. It's still wankery, but it's more impressive than most. I've seen a longer version, which really goes into the 'too much of the same thing' category, but tha's what I like to see. just my personal preference.....

I'm not looking at it as impressive. It's good playing. I don't care what technique or octave set it's in, it's good playing. You would have to tap a cello suite, anyhow, because of the dynamics that a bow affords a cellist, and you'd have to be in the upper octave to be true to the part's sound. It's still tasteful and a cool rendition, as are most of his pieces. I admire him for transposing them in such a way.

That was cool, yeah, and it was good playing as well. I don't see how that serves your point... :)

Archived