Bowling shirts for the whole band?

BeeTL

• Members

How do you feel about a "uniform" for a cover band?

I feel exactly like this:

:freak:

:freak::freak:

:freak::freak::freak:

:freak::freak::freak::freak:

The consideration of your proposal brings to mind rather vibrant images of a train wreck that resulted in a pyramid pile of retards.

/and I am just a tad teh tipsy.

It's OK to have a sense of humor about what you do, but it has to be relaxed and natural; your suggestion smacks too much of of "McCoverband."

• Members

How do you feel about a "uniform" for a cover band?

Do many bands all still wear matching "uniforms" ? ? If everyone wears the same thing, doesn't that quash the whole "creative musician mystique" ?

I thought this kind of matching stuff went out in the 80's with Devo. But if that is the type of music you are covering, then go for it. :)

• Members
Do many bands all still wear matching "uniforms" ? ? If everyone wears the same thing, doesn't that quash the whole "creative musician mystique" ?

I thought this kind of matching stuff went out in the 80's with Devo. But if that is the type of music you are covering, then go for it.
:)

Well, it would prevent idiots from wearing something inappropriate to gigs..........

• Members

I think stage attire is one of the things that most bands half ass.

It's cool when a band looks the part such that it's no surprise who takes the stage to rock the house.

The bowler shirts are a good idea, some folks will poo-poo it, but is screams professionalism to a bar owner and will result in the guy remembering you.

My band wears pimp suits on stage and everyone remembers us after seeing us once.

• Members

no flames - they're dated.

the bowler shirts to me are dated as well, but Burdi's right - even if its not up-to-date-metrosexual-whatever, a clean consistent look will present very well.

Similar, but very seriously, the shoes are equally imprtant. they dont have to be the same, but keep Converse All Stars or ratty sneakers or loafers off the stage (unless that's part of the image you are creating). It kills me when I see a group with well thought out shirts, black slacks, and one jerkoff with filthy American flag Cons on.

• Members

no flames - they're dated.

the bowler shirts to me are dated as well, but Burdi's right - even if its not up-to-date-metrosexual-whatever, a clean consistent look will present very well.

Similar, but very seriously, the shoes are equally imprtant. they dont have to be the same, but keep Converse All Stars or ratty sneakers or loafers off the stage (unless that's part of the image you are creating). It kills me when I see a group with well thought out shirts, black slacks, and one jerkoff with filthy American flag Cons on.

Doc Martens are a nice compromise.

• Members

The flames appeal to me, but we're not a rockabilly group, so they're out.

It's funny, when I brought up the idea of a "look" to the lead singer, he told me he was in but the other guys wouldn't go for it.

However, when I offered to buy, the other two said "hell yeah!". I look at it as an investment in "equipment", so it's no big deal.

Pants/shoes will be the next big step. I was was already planning on picking up some Docs today.

For tonight's gig I'll probably just buy 4 black button front shirts and a supply of plain black T shirts. I'll keep/clean the button shirts and each guy will need to wash/wear a black T to the gigs going forward.

After tonight I'll buy two or three other shirts that will be primarily black. That way if the "uniform" doesn't work, at least we'll have a consistent "look".

:thu:

• Members

Another note:

The big reason for me bringing this up is I expect that tonight's party will be a bit "dressy" with potential for future bookings. It's also our first gig together as a group. We're playing for a lot of folks who could potentially hire us, including a bar owner or two.

I want to make a good first impression, both musically and image-wise. The impression I have is that if I don't do this, odds are good we'd be a pretty shabby-looking bunch...

• Members

Pants/shoes will be the next big step. I was was already planning on picking up some Docs today.

I recommend wearing something a tad cooler than Dockers. If you need to wear pleated pants, at least try and find some leather ones.

• Members

I recommend wearing something a tad cooler than Dockers. If you need to wear pleated pants, at least try and find some leather ones.

Actually, I meant Doc Martens (shoes). You're right, pleats are out!

I got some black Levis.

• Members

my cover band tends to think more in terms of color schemes....and that certainly extends to our stage clothing....we loosely like a black and dark or metallic blue or black and red theme...that way we look very much cohesive without having the exact same 'uniform'....I personally tend to look at our stage, and as we stand on it, as a painting that comes to life....certain colors blend well and you can put off a kinda 'vibe' with just the color palette that you choose...

• Members

I'd say nix the matching gear, unless it suits your bands style and you are playing corporate type gigs... make no mistake, you should take your stage apparel seriously, I just don't think it helps to be THAT coordinated.... We tend to wear jeans (bootcut for me) and decent shirts ( I try to make sure my shirts aren't just dress shirts not tucked in.....) and the shoe issue is a good point.. Nothing screams 'half-baked' plans like a lack of suitable footwear.. I do cowboy boots or decent leather shoes, and as soon as I get a jobby job I'm going to get some Docs ( I had a pair when I was 16 that I wore for 3 years....... Nothing bad abut them)

Definitely stay away from the flames, nothing screams MIDDLE AGED AND TRYING TOO HARD like a group of guys in cheesey bowling/club shirts.

Flames belong on your car, your guitar, or my upright...... Here's me in my favorite Dragonfly gig shirt (long sleeves at all times, they look better rolled up than short sleeves in my opinion...)

P7222770.jpg

• Members

Actually, I meant Doc Martens (shoes). You're right, pleats are out!

I got some black Levis.

umm, Dockers are Levis. I assume you mean black jeans.

I have 2 pairs of Doc Martens, and they seem to be to short from top to bottom (between the sole and the top of the shoe at the bottom of the tongue). Not sure if I have especially fat feet, but none of my other shoes feel that way. I thought it was a fluke then got the 2nd pair of Docs and they are the same. I can't wear them more than a half hour or so, and they start cutting off the blood to my feet.

Too bad because I really like the way they look.

• Members

Devo NEVER went out...........but bowling shirts with flames did the second your transaction went through. I have worn everything from an entire pilots uniform to the roger daltrey huge fringe jacket with a fur collar and bat wing hat.Anything to at least APPEAR entertaining if for some reason the gig isn't.

• Members

Well, I bought shirts at the local department store - kind of a cuban cut, panel-front shirt in black with grey/olive printed chest panels.

I also bought plain black T's at Walmart for each member.

Everyone wore their shirt just a little differently, so the look was NOT like a uniform, but more of a color scheme. I think it went over well, both with the band and the audience.

We had several inquirys for bookings, so I'm happy with the results.

We've had someone taking photos at each show, but so far I've not seen any of the shots.

I'll probably get a few more black shirts in different styles and just mix it up a bit.

Thanks for the feedback!

Archived