Strained Vocal Chords?????

Givati

• Moderators

Rest. There's really nothing else one can do to speed up the healing, though there are things one can do to slow it down.

Best way: Don't talk, don't sing, and especially don't whisper. Carry a note pad for essential communication. When I was in this position, I found that most of what gets said isn't worth writing down.

• Members

The whiskey comment was a joke, the guy is talking about his son, I thought it would be funny to suggest alcohol to a (possible) minor..... just some Saturday fun....

I try to keep the chit chat down when my chords are feeling stressed... if you absolutly need to sing and are feeling stressed, Ricola can be a great help. I've tried most snake oil type of fixes, Ricola is the best. I've also seen it on more show programs than anything else , come to think of it, I've only ever seen it listed on show programs.....

• Moderators

Do him a favor and get him some singing lessons. If he's singing right he won't strain his voice. If he did it once he'll keep doing it until he learns how to sing right. Been there done that. He can do permanent damage if he keeps it up.

Even opera stars can strain their voices occasionally, though proper training makes that far less likely. Agree about the permanent damage. I barely avoided that myself.

• Members

Thanks all of you. I appreciate all the comments, even the whiskey one. Though your right, he is a minor. Didn't stop me when I was his aga though.

All of what was said confirms what I have researched, you all rock!

P

• Members

Nix on the whiskey - it'll make it feel better by dulling the pain, but that just allows you to do more damage.

Partially true..... But the other thing the shot does is relaxes the throat, and causes the natural lubricants to flow.

• Members

OH, one more thing.

Do any of you know of good vocal instruction dvd's?

My son told me of one called "The Zen of Screaming"

Anyone heard of it?

It's great. I know a lot of guys in the death metal circuit that swear by it. The lady who put the video together is annoying to no end, but she has some great information and really can help prevent injury to the screamers out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Screaming-Vocal-Instruction-Breed/dp/B000AVZVTY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-9124021-7715601?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1186331958&sr=8-1

• Members

has the kid seen an ENT? "strained vocal cord" is not an actual diagnosis. you should get him to see someone who knows what they're talking about. you're relatively new here, but i am in fact a pediatric ENT who does a lot of work with young singers. let me know where you are and i can point you to someone good in your location.

• Members

has the kid seen an ENT? "strained vocal cord" is not an actual diagnosis. you should get him to see someone who knows what they're talking about. you're relatively new here, but i am in fact a pediatric ENT who does a lot of work with young singers. let me know where you are and i can point you to someone good in your location.

Cool, then you can answer the question, is talking really harder on your voice than singing? obviously screaming is different, but singing uses the diaphram and talking actually causes the vocal chords to vibrate more, or that's what I've been lead to believe..... let us know, we'd all like to make sure we've got correct info on this front!

• Moderators

OH, one more thing.

Do any of you know of good vocal instruction dvd's?

My son told me of one called "The Zen of Screaming"

Anyone heard of it?

Never heard of it.

In my opinion, one needs an instructor. No DVD can listen to you, and tell you when you're doing it wrong.

• Members

Some things I ve leanred from my singer and a friend who owns a recording studio:

Do not talk in the morning - when you first wake up, thats when you do the most damage

Do not whisper - its acutally worse than talking

Do not eat/drink dairy prior to singing - it coats your vocal cords and makes it difficult to hit a higher range

Drink lots of warm liquids - tea, warm water, lemon tea or water, etc

Warm up properly when your going to sing

• Members

I live in Denver. We have been watching him closely for a few days now and I believe he also have a cold which I'm sure didn't help the situation. I am sure he is not singing/screaming properly either.

• Members

the zen of screaming is a great dvd.. i use it and it is easy to follow... i agree with the others.. tell him to not speak for at least 2 days... then not much for a couple days after that... but get the dvd.. it works..

Yea, he has not spoken for about 30 hours and I can already hear the difference in his hoarseness. I have had him drinking tea and lemon. He was so freaked out about loosing his singing voice that he finally listened to me. He is 17 and wants to make music he future. Its already his life.

Archived