Amp Needed, Please Advise

ToneInMyHead

• Members

Hi All! I am looking for a great sounding amp to play at home and record with. The practice amps I have seen don't sound too good to me. Ideally it should be capable of good sound at not too high volume (I live in an apartment). Nothing fake sounding. I have a MIM jazz bass, but am hoping in time to get a Hofner, a good P bass and a vintage reissue ric 4001. I love McCartney, can you tell? My budget is up to 1000. Thanks.

• Members

Bnyswonger or Guttermouth, can you suggest some models? I don't know what that is. Thanks.

the fliptops are vintage ampeg tube amps. there's some variations on the circuit but, if there's tubes in it and it looks like this:

fliptop.jpg

then it's gonna sound good.the best one i ever played (although i've liked every fliptop i've ever played - even the solid state ones) was similar to the one in the pic. it's a '65 b-15n. they put out about 60 watts at full clip and they're one of the most recorded amps on the face of the planet.they're great sounding amps and you should be able to find one that's been serviced and ready to go for a little under a grand.

Archived