new bass day!!

Guttermouth

• Moderators

man - one of these days i'll run across one of those hamers. how are the necks on em ?

Very nice. The five string necks are asymmetrical and really comfortable. The nut width is 1.8". Because the string spacing at the pickups is about 15mm, the neck width stays under control, even past the 12th fret.

• Members

Very nice. The five string necks are asymmetrical and really comfortable. The nut width is 1.8". Because the string spacing at the pickups is about 15mm, the neck width stays under control, even past the 12th fret.

hmmm sounds pretty cool -so the profile is more on the ibanez side of things then?

• Moderators

hmmm sounds pretty cool -so the profile is more on the ibanez side of things then?

I actually haven't had many Ibanez basses pass through my hands. It feels to me like an asymmetrical 5 string Stingray neck might feel.

• Moderators

i haven't seen one of those randalls in a while either. i remember those being pretty cool amps.

I hadn't ever heard or seen one of these amps until L-1329 dropped it off with me. I cleaned her up a bit, mostly the pots, and I'm extremely impressed with the tone. The Carvin cab has a little hissiness in the tweeter, but nothing that would matter in a live context. It's a nice pairing.

• Members

A guy came in our local outfit looking for one(as in a Hamer). The owner was like "OH, LAWD, NAH!" and he took him over to the Fender/Ibby rack and got him to buy this nasty ergodyne Ibanez. He said that it was "the same thing." and I knew that that was a lie, because that Ergodyne plays like crap and sounds like plastic. Since then, I've been poking around trying to snag a little hands on action with one.

Speaking of the Peaveys, though, I'm loving all of the ones I try, and I love my Fury II :D. I tried a Milestone Jazz when I was looking for defretable woodz, and man... If I ever see it fit to own a backup J, that would likely be it. I played some sort of Foundation Fiver a couple of weeks ago in my last lesson at that shop, and it was niiiice. Really thunderous, rich and such.

• Members

whew.

just got her back together and polished. i dissassembled the whole bass as there looked to be some black sticky fluid spilled on it some time ago. the neck was actually stuck in the pocket from whatever it was (some type of soda probably). so everything got cleaned and all the chrome got polished. cleaned the pots, fed the fretboard (5 times before it stopped absorbing ) and just gave it a general tune up.looks much better now i think.

What did you use to "feed" the fretboard? Also, what do you use to polish the body? I have some basses that are long overdue for some TLC.

• Members
I hadn't ever heard or seen one of these amps until L-1329 dropped it off with me. I cleaned her up a bit, mostly the pots, and I'm extremely impressed with the tone. The Carvin cab has a little hissiness in the tweeter, but nothing that would matter in a live context. It's a nice pairing.

Hey, I recognize those!;)

I was always impressed with the sound of that head, and you should have heard it run into the Randall 215 I had with it. It was huge! If that Carvin cab made its way to you from T-broom's place, I know it very well also.;) Glad to see they're going to get some good use again.

:cool:

• Members

What did you use to "feed" the fretboard? Also, what do you use to polish the body? I have some basses that are long overdue for some TLC.

if the instrument is from around here (tennessee) then the boards are usually fine due to the high humidity here.i'll use some scott's liquid gold (almond) on a wrag to clean the board and it's done. it's an organic polish that has enough almond oil in it that it will condition the board nicely and doesn't leave residue or dry out the board or build up over time.

if it's from somewhere with a low relative humidity then i'll clean the board first and then take a bit of boiled linseed oil and rub it in.let it sit ,rub some more in,wipe off excess, let it sit. repeat untill the board quits soaking it up.

as far as bodies go i use products made for car finishes. if it's really funky like this one i'll start off with a non amonnia based cleaner (mean green works well and doesn't react with finishes) to get all the funk off.then i use mequiar's non- abrasive finish polish on the wood and chrome polish on all the chrome.

if the topcoat is dull and scratched up i use a super high grit abrasive polish (2400 grit) and treat it just like i was buffing out a new finish (i.e. - remember the neck on the g&l you got from me? -it was finished in this manner). then finish it off with a finish polish.

it sounds like a lot of work but i've been doing them like this for years and as you can see from the pictures it works pretty well.

• Members
haha -it would be cool to have a matching pair. you don't see the sunbursts too often and i ran across 2 in 2 weeks. maybe i'm supposed to have both of them......
:lol:

Yes, basses should come in pairs:

The one on the left now has flats

S4010356.jpg

The one on the left is fretless:

S4010353.jpg

Archived