parting with a mesa 400 or 400+

burnthiscorpse

• Members

What's wrong with the D-180? Just not the sound you're after?

A guy on Talkbass was just getting rid of a 400+ for dirt cheap. It wasn't working though...but I almost snapped it up in hopes that I'd be able to fix it. I'm done buying gear for now though...I need to start thinking about selling some of it!

• Members

Just sold my 400. Sold my 400+ a while back, but I can still borrow it if I need to.

Keeping the D-180, it's by far my favorite of the 3. Similar clean tone to the 400 and 400+. Can take 6L6 or 6550 tubes like the the 400. Set for a clean tone, it behaves much like the 400, maybe a little more breakup. Neither of the others, though, can match its distortion - easily capable of enough for guitar (actually a killer guitar amp). The one thing it's not suited for is super loud clean tone, for that you need the 400+.

• Members

i want a 400 or 400+ for the mega headroom and super mesa punch. i dont need the exta SVT qualities that the D-180 has fopr what we are doing. and as far as my cab (ampeg 8x10) i wanna keep it but its gonna get shredded on the road . and i'm not adding all the size and weight of a road case for it. so i am looking into a powerhouse 1000 road ready. new are $1750 i checked today OUCH!!!!!! i see a few used ones but not close enough.

Archived