• Members

I've been looking for a new head and I've really narrowed it down to 3 choices

Ashdown ABM 500 RC EVO II Head

http://ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=abm&ID=55

Mesa/Boogie Big Block 750 Head

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/bigblock/bigblock.htm

Warwick X-Treme 5.1 Head

http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/xtreme5-1.htm

I need help choosing which head would be good. I would be selling my current head (Ashdown MAG 600R). Price is a big issue since I am leaving for school in about 20 days. Also, if you know where to get these things kinda "dirt" cheap, let me know!

Don't feel hesitant to suggest other heads as well, I'm looking for a rack mount head, that fits 2 spaces and has either tubes, or a tube pre section (like the ashdown 500 RC) Please no ampeg...god no ampeg

Thanks guys

• Members

I'd go for the Mesa, but you're not going to find it dirt cheap anywhere unless you get it used. I never used the other amps to comment on them. I have heard that some of the Warwick amps can be very expensive...which is a turn off.

I think the Warwick one that is listed up there is around $1200.00, so I'm basically leaning more towards the others, unless I can find it for cheap (unlikely). I really want to get an idea of what other people like and islike about the amps

• Members

I've always had a thing for Mesa amps...they just sound great IMO. I have an older M-2000 right now that I love, but I wouldn't mind trading up for an M Pulse 600 or even maybe an Eden WT800B...

I'm not going to lie... the M-Pulse 600 was another head I was interested in, i just forgot to mention it.

Are Eden and Mesa sister companies or something?

• Members

I'm not going to lie... the M-Pulse 600 was another head I was interested in, i just forgot to mention it.

Are Eden and Mesa sister companies or something?

Not at all!

Couldn't be further from the truth. The C/S departments alone are a testament to that... ;)

I had an 800B, but went back to the M-Pulse. Both have equal, but different options. Just didn't need the juice of the 800B anymore, and the Mpulse sounds sickeningly sweet through it's DI out into IEMs... whew. :)

• Members

Not at all!

Couldn't be further from the truth. The C/S departments alone are a testament to that...
;)

I had an 800B, but went back to the M-Pulse. Both have equal, but different options. Just didn't need the juice of the 800B anymore, and the Mpulse sounds sickeningly sweet through it's DI out into IEMs... whew.
:)

Do you have a link to a sound clip, or song where you recorded with your M-Pulse 600? If so, send it this way and let me know what you were running through it and it to!

• Members

Ashdown ABM is quality stuff. Mesa is quality stuff. I don't know Warwick amps really. I'd guess that Ashdown can be had cheaper than Mesa, but that may just be how it is around here.

Edit: Around here the Mesa is three times the price of the Ashdown. Just did some checking.

• Members

Do you have a link to a sound clip, or song where you recorded with your M-Pulse 600? If so, send it this way and let me know what you were running through it and it to!

Well it's ears a lot, as that's what my band uses, but I have old demos that were through the amp on my old band's Myspace, which is www.myspace.com/chasedean, I believe.

Bass isn't mixed too high, but on a decent set you can hear it. It's about 50/50 of my fretless Q5 and the Mesa.

• Members

I'm looking for a good mid-dy, modern sound. I think the warwick amps would have this...since everyone says their basses are very trebley, but let me know!

It'll take a lot of work to get a good mid-dy modern sound out of the Ashdown amp. I have the ABM 500 EVO-II non rack mountable and set flat it's set more for a mid-scooped type of setup. You can get more mids out of it by heavily cutting low end.

Personally I'd add GK to your list. Give a 1001RB-II a spin. If you like, you can grab one from www.rmcaudio.com for about $600.

• Members

Yeah, GK is a good suggestion.

I've never played a warwick amp, sorry.

The ashdown is a nice sounding amp, but set flat it really does have a bit of a scooped sound to my ears. Not all that modern to my ears.

I'm not all that familiar with that mesa, but as RSB suggested, the M-Pulse is a pretty cool amp with a lot of tonal variety.

• Members

I'm not all that familiar with that mesa, but as RSB suggested, the M-Pulse is a pretty cool amp with a lot of tonal variety.

It does the booty thing very well. Tons of low end thump.

I use the para-EQ as an ultra-EQ that boosts the lows like you would on a sub/synth setting and it's nice. :thu:

• Moderators

I went Mesa and never looked back. Both an M-Pulse 600 and a Walkabout 12. Great amps. Nice variety of available tone. I get nice rock grit with mine, but can also get a round dub for reggae and country when I have to do so. The footswitch on the M-Pulse 600 allows you to kick in the compressor, fx loop and as RSB uses it probably to kick in and out of the semi-parametric eq section.

• Members

I went Mesa and never looked back. Both an M-Pulse 600 and a Walkabout 12. Great amps. Nice variety of available tone. I get nice rock grit with mine, but can also get a round dub for reggae and country when I have to do so. The footswitch on the M-Pulse 600 allows you to kick in the compressor, fx loop and as RSB uses it probably to kick in and out of the semi-parametric eq section.

Correct with all of the above, as well as the Solo feature! :)

Use that one a lot, actually.

The new models have a 5-button switch w/ the Tuner Mute added.

• Moderators
Correct with all of the above, as well as the Solo feature!
:)

Use that one a lot, actually.

The new models have a 5-button switch w/ the Tuner Mute added.

You can tell I don't use the switch. That was from memory with mine. I play mostly with the Walkabout, which doesn't have that option, so when I'm on a stage where the 600 is necessary, I have already built the playing around not having it available. When I first got it, I was using the Solo as a sort of tuner mute anyway.

Archived