Finally scored a T40!!!

Filobassman

• Members

Well after years of wanting a T40 I finally have one. Well all I can say is all of you that praised them were right on! I got it last week and it sounds and plays great. From thick and meaty to twangy and thin. The action was kinda high when I got it and I was worried because the bridge saddles were almost all the way down but it turned out 2 of the neck screws were loose. I've been playing non stop since I got it last week. I called Peavey and gave them the serial # however it was not on record but told me it's more than likely a 1979-81 year made. It's got some battle scars but overall I'm very pleased. Oh by the way I won it on ebay for $189.00, not bad huh.:thu:

Picture1020.jpg

Picture1022.jpg

Picture1021.jpg

• Members

Well after years of wanting a T40 I finally have one. Well all I can say is all of you that praised them were right on! I got it last week and it sounds and plays great. From thick and meaty to twangy and thin. The action was kinda high when I got it and I was worried because the bridge saddles were almost all the way down but it turned out 2 of the neck screws were loose. I've been playing non stop since I got it last week. I called Peavey and gave them the serial # however it was not on record but told me it's more than likely a 1979-81 year made. It's got some battle scars but overall I'm very pleased. Oh by the way I won it on ebay for $189.00, not bad huh.
:thu:

Steal! The pups tell the tale, definately 79 to 81. Later models have an exposed blade on the pups. Congrats!

• Members

A little back story:

I was working in a music store in the early 80's, a Peavey dealer. New Fender basses were listing in the $700-$1000 range (the end time of Fender's 'drifting' days after CBS lost interest but Mr. Schultz's investor group had not yet bought it), Guilds, Rics, about the same. There were no where near the array of choices available today.

We naturally had ordered the T40 basses (and T60 guitars). I BOUGHT the second one we got in. All natural, all maple neck. Hartley and Chip Todd built these to last!! Ash body, a thin, almost Jazz-like maple neck with Schallers and metal nut, four bolt neck with micro-tilt, massive, machined bridge, and the humbuckers that could be switched to roll from humbucking to single coil as you rolled the tone contol from off to wide open. With case, MSRP of $349.00. I got mine at an employee discount for $175.00 !

The great thing was, NOBODY could argue that 350 bucks wasn't anything but one hell of a price for something built that well. They didn't look or sound like anything else. They really shamed a lot of manufacturers, most of whom were on the 'Well, Peavey, you know that stuff . . . . .' trip, while Hartley was carving them up like Christmas turkeys. Don't forget that at this moment in time, Fender was very nearly sold off in parts at auction, and Gibson would change owners for the FOURTH time in its history at a bargain-basement price.

They really are the ultimate punk or scary-beer-joint bass: It's got the massive build quality of a military piece. It makes an Ibanez ATK look like it's made of balsa wood, and an ATK is a nicely heavy axe!

Terrifically well built. At the time Hartley embraced machine production for the shaping of the necks and bodies (this is VERY early CNC) and was pooh-poohed because of it . . . it's naturally become THE standard production model since then.

I really think these things will be like B52's . . . . there will still be some being used in 2082 !

• Members
I have always said that, at the end of the world, there will be 4 things left

1. Roaches

2. Twinkies

3. Keith Richards

and

4. Peavey T-40 Basses

:D

Word. Future civilizations will be able to find the dust of my remains alongside my three T-40s.I will say this though, I would take an earlier one like this one over one of the later ones. To me, the earlier pickups just sound better.

• Members
I have always said that, at the end of the world, there will be 4 things left

1. Roaches

2. Twinkies

3. Keith Richards

and

4. Peavey T-40 Basses

:D

Word. Future civilizations will be able to find the dust of my remains alongside my three T-40s.I will say this though, I would take an earlier one like this one over one of the later ones. To me, the earlier pickups just sound better.And yes, that is a major steal. :thu:

• Members

Word. Future civilizations will be able to find the dust of my remains alongside my three T-40s.

I will say this though, I would take an earlier one like this one over one of the later ones. To me, the earlier pickups just sound better.

And yes, that is a major steal.
:thu:

your post reminded me of an old RUSH song

What can this strange divice be?

when I touch it it gives forth a sound

its got wires tht vibrate and give music

what can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart

And joyously screams out its pain

Sounds that build high like a mountain

Or notes that fall gently like rain

I cant wait to share this new wonder