vintage fenders and the price

wilki29

• Members

I wouldn't buy any production bass at the price that old fender's are going for. I've seen 70's fenders with a pricetag of more than $4k around here on used gear sites. That's just insane.

Edit: This guy wants $12k for his j-bass: http://www.dba.dk/asp/soegning/detail.asp?annonceid=50634694

If Boalg ever sells his P he'll be filthy rich.

• Members

Wow I dont know about you guys, but I cant believe how expensive they have gotten. Personally I dont think they are worth it, but would you all buy one?

I might, if I really liked it but I would have a limit in terms of the dollars and I would have to really really like it.

For example, I don't think I would lay out more than 2 grand for a vintage Fender instrument. I would set it down and then buy a Lakland.

Come to think of it, I would probably buy the Lakland anyway. ;)

The most recent prices for old Gibson Rippers is topping $800 which is ridiculous. I love the Ripper but not buying one used for more than I paid for one new.

• Members

Nope !

Not a collector of things (my rule is that if I don't use it in a years time I sell or give it away) and won't pay collector prices!

Trying to remain a minimalist but my spouse is making it tough!

PD

yea I defenitely understand. This is the reason why im buying a bunch of old G&L's. They are awsome, relatively cheap, and will be crazy expensive in a few years. The prices are already climbing, and they arent getting cheaper.

• Members

I guess it would depend...I'd love to have a couple of old Fenders. I've held and played a couple that were wonderful instruments. Overpriced? Oh-yes...if I had the money and the perfect instrument was at hand, I might very well buy it. I wouldn't buy it, however, if I didn't feel that I could turn it around for about what I paid for it or more. Preferably more.

• Members

It would be an extravagance for me-kind of like a classic car that I'd never drive.

They're cool basses, but I couldn't justify the cost in day-to-day usage-the new ones do just about the same thing for far less cash.

• Moderators

Vintage Fenders aren't priced as instruments, they are priced as investments. Shop accordingly. If you want an instrument don't look for vintage Fenders. If you want an investment that doubles as an instrument, look to the vintage Fenders. I personally use basses as instruments and invest in other markets.

• Members

There is only one vintage fenfer bass I would be willing to pay a fair amount for, a '59 P bass with maple neck, burst finish and gold anodized pickguard. The '57 is a more well know version of this bass but I was born in '59 so it would be cool to have a bass as old as I was.:cool:

• Members

yea I defenitely understand. This is the reason why im buying a bunch of old G&L's. They are awsome, relatively cheap, and will be crazy expensive in a few years. The prices are already climbing, and they arent getting cheaper.

I wish I could agree with you.

I love G&L's. They're probably the best bang for the buck out there. But in my opinion, the reason Fenders and Gibsons are skyrocketing is because of their association with vintage music. I don't see that association with G&L's.

I hope you're right, though.

• Members

No. If I had that kind of money hanging around, I would have a custom bass made. Something like... that reacts to your body shape, temperature and playing style/stance/etc.

I would much rather have modern basses. I can emulate a nice vintage tone without paying so much. Heck, God himself gave me the tools. Like palm muting is THAT hard. Sheesh. :p

Archived