OT: Running shoe recomendations

Apendecto

• Members

My running shoes are falling apart. It doesn't help that they are the same ones from my senior year of cross in high school.

I know shoes fit different people differently but I'm looking for a brand that doesn't fall apart and isn't a piece of {censored}. During cross, my Nike's fell apart like a cheap pair of Hungarian pants. I'm now using "Asics (sp?)" and they seem to have lasted a long time, but I'm so out of the game now.

Any avid runners have a shoe preference?

Thanks.

Yo.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i am currently wearing asics. nike makes the best shoe for my feet but i prefer the asics. they seem to last longer. i would highly recommend that you go to a running store and have them fit you with the correct shoes for your feet. it will cost a little more for that first pair of shoes but you can always buy replacements online.

• Members

It really depends on your foot and footstrike.

I always advise people to check out their local specialty running store for shoes.

My personal favorite (currently have two pairs of these in rotation) is the Mizuno Wave Runner 10. Also in rotation are a pair of the Asics Gel Landreth. Neutral, lightweight style shoes. I just discovered the Wave Runner 10 last winter and it is far and away my favorite shoe.

• Members

+1 to Asics. I am currently using Nike because I was briefly using the Nike+ iPod integration. I find them to be heavy and kinda clunky, but after about 350 miles outside in a dry climate they are holding up very well. I plan to go back to Asics when this pair of Nikes is done.

New Balance is well known for having a very large toe box.

If you are using them for running, I would suggest finding a running store (not one of the big general sporting goods stores) and they will help you find the right pair of shoes for your needs.

• Members

I always advise people to check out their local specialty running store for shoes.

My personal favorite (currently have two pairs of these in rotation) is the Mizuno Wave Rider 10. Also in rotation are a pair of the Asics Gel Landreth. Neutral, lightweight style shoes. I just discovered the Wave Runner 10 last winter and it is
far and away
my favorite shoe.

+1 to the Mizuno Wave Rider line. I had the Wave Runner 9's and liked them a lot. Lightweight (which is usually my #1 criterion), but still provide a decent amount of cushion and support.

• Members

My personal favorite (currently have two pairs of these in rotation) is the Mizuno Wave Runner 10. Also in rotation are a pair of the Asics Gel Landreth. Neutral, lightweight style shoes. I just discovered the Wave Runner 10 last winter and it is
far and away
my favorite shoe.

Your post in the number of pairs of shoes you own made me think about this. I will check out the local running shoe store but I was really looking at durability.

I will check out the two you mentioned. Thanks.

Yo.

• Members

+1 to the Mizuno Wave Runner line. I had the Wave Runner 9's and liked them a lot. Lightweight (which is usually my #1 criterion), but still provide a decent amount of cushion and support.

+1 on the Mizuno. I'm about to retire a pair that have over 700 miles on them! :eek:

700 isn't recommended though. You're supposed to get new ones every 500 miles or so. The Mizunos are kinda notorious for only lasting 300-400 miles, actually. But this pair has done me right!

+1 on the go to a running store to get your shoes fit properly.

• Members

Your post in the number of pairs of shoes you own made me think about this. I will check out the local running shoe store but I was really looking at durability.

I will check out the two you mentioned. Thanks.

Yo.

Durability: New Balance

Nike won't cut it at all, although I have had good luck with their running aparel.

Mizuno...see my above post, YMMV...literally! :D

Asics also last pretty well. Adidas as well, but I don't have a lot of experience with them. I had a pair that hurt my feet and I have never gone back to them.

Durability is a tough one, though, as those things are made to wear out. They take a pounding and materials only keep the 'schproing' for so long.

• Members

I've actually heard that running shoes should be retired after only 300 miles. However, I'm not one to follow that and wear mine until literally they're tearing quite a bit.

I bought a pair each of the Asics and Mizunos at the same time. My Asics have about the same amount of wear as my Mizunos overall. The Asics have small tears at the base, whereas the Mizunos have larger tears. Remind me in a month and I'll let you know how they are 100 miles later.

I put in upwards of 300+ miles a month, so between those two pair, there's somewhere in the ballpark of 1,500 - 2,000 miles. Which is, on the low side, at least 700 miles per pair, possibly as much as 1,200 (simply because I chose the Mizunos for the longer runs typically).

They've experienced all weather conditions. Heat, sun, cold, sleet, ice, snow.

I picked up my second pair of the Mizunos just a week and a half ago. They're holding up great so far, but only have maybe, at the absolute most, fifty miles.

• Members

you could just wear chucks

:D

actually those are some of thebest shoes to wear while lifting weights. They have little heel support which makes it ideal to do deadlifts. Moving onto running, I personally love wearing new balance shoes. I used to run a lot more than I do now, and they help out a lot. I stopped running so frequently though because it was so boring, and its rough on the knees. I mainly do jump rope and the stationary bike now. If you can try and hit the treadmill or an actual track. Your knees will thank you.

• Members

New Balance.

The higher the number on the side, the more padding. They don't pay for ANY endorsements, the money goes into the shoes. Lastly, they make shoes in different widths. If you go to a GOOD sporting goods store, they'll have them in different widths, which makes for a much better fit.

• Members

Also - remember that you can never buy a shoe that's too stable or too well padded. This usually means heavier, which usually means slower, but I've never heard of a case of somebody getting injured because their shoe was too stable or too cushioned for their stride. When you do the opposite - get a shoe with too little stability/cushioning - it's very easy to get an injury.

• CMS Author

Regarding New Balance. I've been wearing them for years and years. I was told a year ago that they make two levels of product; one sold in Sears, etc and one for the factory stores and the higher end sporting good stores. Easiest way to tell what your store carries is to ask for a 4E or wider shoe...the Sears-level stores won't carry them. The factory stores do an excellent job of fitting the right show for your feet and needs.

• Members

i have asics gel nimbus VII that i have been using for 2+ years. they are still in excellent condition. i have taken very good care of them -- avoided puddles and dirt while running and made sure they dried properly after use.

i am considering hersey shoes for my next pair. i am intrigued by the notion of a custom shoe, especially from a guy who used to work for new balance but believes he can do it better.

robb.

• Members

Also - remember that you can never buy a shoe that's too stable or too well padded. This usually means heavier, which usually means slower, but I've never heard of a case of somebody getting injured because their shoe was too stable or too cushioned for their stride. When you do the opposite - get a shoe with too little stability/cushioning - it's very easy to get an injury.

No offense, but this is some very outdated thinking. In fact, over the history of what are considered "modern" running shoes, injuries have gone up statistically.

Look at what competitive marathon runners wear - they use what are known as "flats". Only a very moderate amount of padding in the forefoot, no "Air" or "Gel" or other such nonsense, and not much more padding in the heel. The greater the padding in the heel, the more likely you are to roll your ankle - you're more likely to rely on the padding for cushioning rather than controlling your landing, and so it's like landing on a mattress (unstable) instead of solid ground (stable).

Look at what sprinters wear. Track spikes are basically slippers. And if you think modern tracks are where the cushioning is at, go run a mile barefoot on one.

The majority of running injuries are caused by poor technique rather than poor footwear. I have more info if anyone wants it.

Archived