Rickenbacker 3001 Opinions?

upinflames

• Members

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this bass? How does it sound? It looks way different from most Rickenbacker basses (1 Mustang-like pickup). I have a Geddy Lee, but I think I might trade it for the Rickenbacker...is that a good deal?

• Moderators

Depends on what you like.

One pickup, single coil, so noise can be an issue. Excellent passive electronics, providing for bass and treble boost and cut. The bolt-on neck is thicker than a 400X Ric, more like a Precision. The sound is a lot like a P, too, until you fiddle with the tone controls.

I like the sound, but dislike the thick neck, so I don't play mine much, unless I'm recording. Then I use it, if it's the right sound for a given song.

Mapleglo3001.jpg

This was recorded with a 3001: http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/isaacjones-04.m3u

• Members

I owned one for wuite a while and I really liked it. I didn' have any noise issues with it, but I didnt really run it through distortion either. these are a great bass and very underrated. That have a great heavy sound like a Pbass, but with a little more clarity IMO. I actually kinda regret getting rid of mine. It was really nice. The neck is a bit thick, but it's not too bad for a 4 banger. I have good sized hands so it really didn' bother me much, but that's always a personal taste thing.

• Members

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this bass? How does it sound? It looks way different from most Rickenbacker basses (1 Mustang-like pickup). I have a Geddy Lee, but I think I might trade it for the Rickenbacker...is that a good deal?

I have a Ric 4003 and I just bought a Geddy on saturday

DO NOT sell the Geddy

:D

• Moderators

How can you boost the signal without putting power into it?

You put a resistor in the circuit. That reduces the output. Then, you bypass the resistor selectively, so that only some frequencies get around it. Those frequencies will be boosted relative to the average level.

In this case, the resistor is R4.With the treble control R2 all the way up, treble frequencies pass through C1 to the output, but all other frequencies must go through R4. With R2 all the way down, treble frequencies are shunted to ground by C2. With R2 in the middle, treble is neither boosted nor cut.

Similar with the bass control, R3. With it turned all the way up (wiper down, on the scematic), all those other frequencies go through R4, but nothing else. AS R4 is only 100K, and the potentiometers are 250K (I think), bass frequencies have less resistance to go through than the treble frequencies, and are effectively boosted. Turn R3 down, and you add 250K in series, cutting those frequencies relative to the treble which, at midpoint, are only going through 125K and a cap to the output.

• Members

Did you listen to the clip?

I did. I have crappy laptop speakers, so bass doesn't cut through very well. It's not as cool as a 4003 but I like that it's an uncommon bass. The Geddy is really nice, but I'm a guitar player and drummer before I'm a bassist, so I don't need two. I also like the idea of having something hardly anyone else has. Later down the road I'll probably buy another Jazz bass, but I can find a nice one of those on craigslist any day of the week, the same can't be said for the Rickenbacker.

Picking it up tomorrow. The Geddy Lee is for sale in the classified section.

Archived