ampeg 2-10 ... is it enough

theradvocate

• Members

so I played with the eden last night for about 4 hours and overall it sounded great but towards the the end of practice I felt like the low notes where distorting slightly - the low e, f, f# mainly (but not remotely near what would happen with the 210) then again I probably don't have a strong ear for this so maybe its just what the lows are going to sound like ... anyway I thought it overall sounded really good although I was not floored by it like the one in the store

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
wow ... thanks a lot ! - that really makes sence ... I was kinda flying blind before just twisting knobs but this really helps ...

Just remember that when you're adjusting your EQ, you're "shaping" your tone; each knob has a relation to the knobs adjacent to it. You're essentially creating a response curve, so if you find that you want more bass, don't just turn the bass knob, turn up both the bass and low mids. If you want less mids, turn down all three mids knobs, with the center mids turned down the most, etc. This gives you more subtle changes; use tiny changes across the EQ to create a large overall change in tone. Does that make sense?

Also, create a constant, with your bass. If it's passive, turn the volume and the tone all the way up. If it's active, set the preamp flat. You want as few variables to come into play when you're dialing in the amp as possible; if your tone knob on your bass is set to 6, and you dial in your amp, the next time you play it may not sound the same and you might not figure out why until you've jacked up all the settings to put on the amp.:idea:
C7

• Members

Oh, and understand that no matter how kickass your amp sounds in your bedroom, you're going to change the settings as soon as you're with the band. No matter how kickass your amp sounds with the band, you're going to make changes to the settings as soon as it gets on stage. It's a moving target, homey.:D
C7

• Moderators
Oh, and understand that no matter how kickass your amp sounds in your bedroom, you're going to change the settings as soon as you're with the band. No matter how kickass your amp sounds with the band, you're going to make changes to the settings as soon as it gets on stage. It's a moving target, homey.
:D
C7

C7 is droppin' science in this thread, but this is a point that often gets lost on less experienced bassists so I figured I'd quote it and give it a big +1. :thu:

• Members
C7 is droppin' science in this thread, but this is a point that often gets lost on less experienced bassists so I figured I'd quote it and give it a big +1.
:thu:

See? I'm more than just exquisitely timed non-sequiturs, crude diatribes, insulting mysogyny, and unsolicited pictures of fat chicks!:idea:
C7

• Members
Right. I just wonder how you choose which personality to express at any given time. I've never seen such thoughtful and comprehensive posts from someone in one thread juxtaposed with the other types of posts in other threads.

I try to be helpful to guys that are new and ask genuine questions, because a couple of years ago I was that guy in alot of respects. If someone with a post count of 10,000+ comes along and asks about cab choices, he's gonna get the smartass routine.:D

Plus some subject matter is just not to be taken seriously under any circumstances, and other are just softballs passing gently through the strike zone. Plus, I'm grossly understimulated at work and need to channel my extremely spastic nature toward something, hence the lengthy diatribes. It's a good thing most people don't take me too seriously. Anyone that's met me in person will tell you that I'm not much different face to face.:D
C7

• Moderators
Plus some subject matter is just not to be taken seriously under any circumstances, and other are just softballs passing gently through the strike zone. Plus, I'm grossly understimulated at work and need to channel my extremely spastic nature toward something, hence the lengthy diatribes. It's a good thing most people don't take me too seriously. Anyone that's met me in person will tell you that I'm not much different face to face.
C7

You're spastic? :confused: I'd have never guessed. :D

• Members
Oh, and understand that no matter how kickass your amp sounds in your bedroom, you're going to change the settings as soon as you're with the band. No matter how kickass your amp sounds with the band, you're going to make changes to the settings as soon as it gets on stage. It's a moving target, homey.
C7

oh i hear ya ... thats part of my free beer enticment for an extra rehersal with some folks this evening ... I tweek they drink, I drink, Bass wins

• Members
I try to be helpful to guys that are new and ask genuine questions, because a couple of years ago I was that guy in alot of respects. If someone with a post count of 10,000+ comes along and asks about cab choices, he's gonna get the smartass routine.

Plus some subject matter is just not to be taken seriously under any circumstances, and other are just softballs passing gently through the strike zone. Plus, I'm grossly understimulated at work and need to channel my extremely spastic nature toward something, hence the lengthy diatribes. It's a good thing most people don't take me too seriously. Anyone that's met me in person will tell you that I'm not much different face to face.
C7

its much apreciated ... I probably should know more than I do on tweeking amps and what not - given my background in synths/keys/organ but on the amp end I have ussually just ben a knob twister (jesus that sounded bad) without any meathod - until the right mix presents itself (the find a needle in the haystack approach) ... and of course not much of that translates to the bass tone I like ... always relied to muchy on our drummer who has a great handle on those things ...

• Members
Oh yeah? I can argue about Behringer all day long, thereby proving I have an enormous cock.
:rolleyes:

w00t!:D

So yeah, thanks for posting that Thunderfunk manual. I'm going to take a look at it, right after I finish photoshopping your head onto Wynona Judd's body and posting it all over the internet.
C7

• Moderators
w00t!

So yeah, thanks for posting that Thunderfunk manual. I'm going to take a look at it, right after I finish photoshopping your head onto Wynona Judd's body and posting it all over the internet.

C7

:blah:

I'd look better on Ashley Judd.

• Members

by the way tried the approach with the eden last night and was getting some pretty great results ... I really think I was mainly just 'over' gaining the signal by pushing my volume so high (if that makes sense) ... setting the volume and using the boost to adjust really cleared it up ... and then from there just dropped a little in the highs, a little less in the mid highs and had the contour at 2 o'clock and the presence at 10 o'clock ... (also unbeknownst to me I had the horn on the eden on a pretty odd setting (all the way to one side) - so I set it flat)

Archived