Geddy Jazz bass review

RIC N BACKER

• Members

so I have had it now5 days and only really got to get on it last night like normal.

the build quality of this Bass is really nice

the playability of it is very nice

the sound is typical Fender (='s good)

I really like the feel. I would go so far as to say that it is close to the quality of my Ric.

• Members

so I have had it now5 days and only really got to get on it last night like normal.

I really like the feel. I would go so far as to say that it is close to the quality of my Ric.

Nice to read that... I might be in the market for a J-bass... and the Marcus Miller so far caught my attention... I might check the Geddy too...

• Members

I used to have a Geddy about 6-7 years ago. I sold it. It didn't have enough low end for me, but I loved its agressiveness and it was very well built and easy to play.

I have recently found myself in the market for a Jazz bass, under $1000. Checked out the Geddy, still loved it, but somethings missing. Then I played one of these.....

323315.jpg

Game over. The Geddy is still nice, but don't sleep on the Jaguar. Same p/u's, great neck, same level of quality(they are both CIJ), almost as much growl(nothing has as much growl as a Geddy), but bigger low end. It also has more tonal options and is really sweet looking in person. As soon as I have funds, its mine!!!

• Members

Well they do feel a bit similar with the lacquered neck but I remember the Ric having a bit beefier of a neck and being a bit easier to play. Although the Geddy was pretty quick as well, the Ric was a bit friendlier to my hands.

Dan

• Members

are the necks still sticky:freak:

actually thats the only thing that stopped me from getting one before. i hear that they don't put that sticky lacquer on the necks anymore so maybe i should try one again.

I've seriously thought about sanding down the neck of mine... yeah, sticky.

• Members

The Geddy is still nice, but don't sleep on the Jaguar. Same p/u's, great neck, same level of quality(they are both CIJ), almost as much growl(nothing has as much growl as a Geddy), but bigger low end.

Try exchanging the bridge for a Bad Ass II. The Jaguar and the Geddy are made of the same wood with the same neck and the same pups. Only differences is the bridge and the fretboard and of course the Jaguar has a few things extra... No reason why you shouldn't be able to get the Jaguar to sound as aggresive as the Geddy unless the fretboard makes that much of a difference... and then you could of course buy a Geddy as well and swap out the necks...

• Members

I've seriously thought about sanding down the neck of mine... yeah, sticky.

I did this about a week after I got mine. Just take some 0000 steel wool and go slowly. I did not go all the way through the finish, just took the gloss off. It took about 20 minutes and made a world of difference. Tape off your pickups, or you will be picking off steel wool for weeks. Trust me, I know...

I think it would be a mistake to take off all the finish, since the back would absorb moisture while the fretboard is still sealed. It might make the neck unstable.

• Members

The fact that Lug owns a Jag SHOULD be reason enough for everyone on the forum to run out and get one.

OK, I should get a straight answer out of Das Lug - what exactly DO all the switches and thumbwheels do on a Jag Bass ?

....and for de-glazing a Fender neck, the green 3M scrub pads work great, less messy than steel wool.

• Members

The Geddy is nice, but the Jaguar is awesome.

I don't usually like Fenders, but the Jag has some great tones in it and feels excellent.

You can't go wrong with either, though.
:thu:

I love the feel etc. of the Jaguar, but, I know this may seem like a shallow reason, I'm really turned off by the Red or Black as the only choice of finish. I've never like either and doubt I would ever buy those colors unless it was an absolute, can't pass it up $$ deal.

• Members

I love the feel etc. of the Jaguar, but, I know this may seem like a shallow reason, I'm really turned off by the Red or Black as the only choice of finish. I've never like either and doubt I would ever buy those colors unless it was an absolute, can't pass it up $$ deal.

Yeah, I don't care for those options on the Jag, either - although 3 of my 6 electric basses are currently black...

Picture this:

A Jag with a natural body, and Geddy neck - that'd be the ticket, IMO...

- georgestrings

• Members

OK, I should get a straight answer out of Das Lug - what exactly DO all the switches and thumbwheels do on a Jag Bass ?

....and for de-glazing a Fender neck, the green 3M scrub pads work great, less messy than steel wool.

Top horn is Avtive on/off a bass boost and treble boost wheel

Lower horn is bridge and neck pups on/off and a series parallel switch

Normal passive volume and tone controls always work in either passive or active.

• Members

I believe Sunburst is a domestic choice in Japan...only a matter of time until it is available stateside if people request it

I also thought i saw a Lake Pacid Blue option at one point but now can't find any reference to it anywhere...

• Members

I did this about a week after I got mine. Just take some 0000 steel wool and go slowly. I did not go all the way through the finish, just took the gloss off. It took about 20 minutes and made a world of difference. Tape off your pickups, or you will be picking off steel wool for weeks. Trust me, I know...

I think it would be a mistake to take off all the finish, since the back would absorb moisture while the fretboard is still sealed. It might make the neck unstable.

Yeah, I just might do that, if I decide to hang on to it a while longer...

• Members

Nice to read that... I might be in the market for a J-bass... and the Marcus Miller so far caught my attention... I might check the Geddy too...

I tried the Marcus Miller today, I still like the Geddy. I didnt plug it in I just want to feel it....

• Members

I used to have a Geddy about 6-7 years ago. I sold it. It didn't have enough low end for me, but I loved its agressiveness and it was very well built and easy to play.

I have recently found myself in the market for a Jazz bass, under $1000. Checked out the Geddy, still loved it, but somethings missing. Then I played one of these.....

323315.jpg

Game over. The Geddy is still nice, but don't sleep on the Jaguar. Same p/u's, great neck, same level of quality(they are both CIJ), almost as much growl(nothing has as much growl as a Geddy), but bigger low end. It also has more tonal options and is really sweet looking in person. As soon as I have funds, its mine!!!

I did not like the looks of that bass and there are too many switches....I dont have the time to {censored} with all that...lol

besides I suck enough without having to dick around with all those switches.....

you are right about the low end. it isnt as deep as a P or my Ric

• Members

are the necks still sticky:freak:

actually thats the only thing that stopped me from getting one before. i hear that they don't put that sticky lacquer on the necks anymore so maybe i should try one again.

Mine is not sticky.....

if you mean like the Gibson Les Paul stickiness definitly no way.

Archived