whats the skinniest bass neck around?

kingofthestring

• Moderators

If by skinny you mean nut width, the skinniest are typically 1.5" across, which is the typical jazz bass width neck. There aren't many (any?) nuts narrower than that. However, you also are probably looking for a bass with a shallow profile front to back. Fender has two models, the Geddy Lee and the Jaguar, that use the same neck profile that is slightly shallower than the typical jazz neck. Other companies also have different profiles. I believe you will find some very narrow and shallow necks in the Ibanez line. Since my personal preference is on the opposite side of the spectrum as yours, I'm not the right guy to ask for specific models. I'm sure others will come along with more helpful info.

• Members

The Ventura mid 70's SG bass has the skinniest neck I have played on - like i posted in another thread - if you can find one buy it. I can't imagine a bass with a neck this skinny being better sounding ... its an absolute breeze to make the switch from guitar ... and it doesn't sound like a a short scale at ALL (ala fender mustang)

• Members

MM Sterling or an Ibanez as suggested.

The Sterling is basically a glorified jazz bass neck. It's roughly the same dimensions, but for some reason they just feel a lot better!

Yep, the Sterlings I've tried remind me of my G&L neck. The diffence from the jazz is slight but play it for 2 hours and the difference is huge.

Archived