What would you tell yourself...

82Daion

• Members

Well, first of I would have told me I would become a gear whore of great magnitude, and that that is a bad idea that needs to be avoided. Just get one good four string bass and pratice your ass of.

And use your fingers, you'll get it.

And oh, when you find a cheap mesa 400+, buy it.

• Members

Honestly, I'd tell myself nothing. I actually started playing bass because there was one in our house (my mom's). I started playing guitar because I wanted a black, shiny Takamine dreadnought. I really had no inclination to be any better than a chord strummer.

I'm much better at both bass and guitar than I originally intended, so I'd just keep my mouth shut and let things run their course. Yeah, I wish I had started sooner, but I'm glad I started when I did.

Dustin

• Members

+1

I would have said " Sure it's whack, but go ahead and audition for Up With People!"

and I would have said "Bands come and go. Throw yourself into this college thing"

and, lastly, I would have said "Forget moving to LA to make it! Keep your job, and buy some recording gear, and get a website!!"

• Members

1. Drop playing guitar. You're a Bass player all the way

2. Buy stock in Micro Soft. It's this new startup company that may do well....

Although I still enjoy playing guitar, and am still halfway decent at it - I "wasted" about 15 years by being an average guitarist, while the next 15 as a bassist have opened ALOT more doors for me... Had I picked up bass earlier on, I *might* have landed some pretty lucrative gigs during the "guitar years"...

- georgestrings

• Members

Present self to 19 year old college student who plays in a band at frat parties self:

Dude, get rid of your girlfriend - it's never going to last after graduation, and you have an opportunity that you will never have again to get astronomical amounts of tang.

• Members

If you want to be really rich in the years to come, start collecting 60's and 70's Fenders, Rickenbackers, red line Hot Wheels, etc. while they can be had cheap, and sell them next century.

If you don't think you'll need to be really rich, buy some stock in new companes called Microsoft, and Apple Computers . . .

• Members

If you want to be
really
rich in the years to come, start collecting 60's and 70's Fenders, Rickenbackers, red line Hot Wheels, etc. while they can be had cheap, and sell them next century.

If you don't think you'll need to be
really
rich, buy some stock in new companes called Microsoft, and Apple Computers . . .

Along those same lines:

"Go get back all those GI Joes your Mom just gave to the private School, especially the Black guy with Kung Fu grip. There's gonna be this thing called Ebay........"

• Members

Learn your damn fingerboard, forwards, backwards, upside down and inside out...

Learn how to sing melodies and then transfer them to the figerboard

Learn what intervals sound like and what they look like on paper and on the fingerboard

Practice every day, even if it's only for 10 minutes

Learn how to read rhythm

• Members

You know that goofy bass you bought when you were out looking for old synths? PICK IT UP AND LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT!

No, not just those same 2 notes with as much distortion, filter, delay, and everything as possible. And there's more than one string on it, there's 4.

DO NOT take it apart so you can make "improvements". It will sit in pieces for 15 years. Fix the wires and cover them up with something and PLAY IT.

And make that guy a reasonable offer for his hot-rodded ARP 2600. Otherwise you'll never get one and you'll be sorry.

EDIT:

When you're at music stores, buy some of those cheap little dusty Roland TB-303 things that nobody likes. Some day people will start using them wrong for dance music and everyone will be all nuts for 'em. 1000% profit.

• Members

Something like...

No, NO! STOP WASTING MONEY ON THAT GAMING {censored}!!! STOP!!! I know you're not so interested, but pick up that bass and learn how to read tabalature. Learn as many songs as you can, from as many artists as you can. Stop slapping so furiously, you'll wear out our Fender Jazz and its frets, which will be procured about a year and a half from now right before Christmas, in six months' time doing that. Get into lessons after you've figured out that tab thing, master some tracks, techniques, style-bases, etc, and get known. Have fun, and don't go to those jam sessions with Matt, Corey, and the occasional "other guitarist". You'll strain our practice amp. Get up on stage when Teach offers to pay you twenty bucks for it, play the cakewalk song and take a solo. D O N O T defret our Lyon when you pick it up. That bass is so mean, and I did it a disservice.

And other stuff, likely. :D

Women are bad. :p

• Members

If you could go back in time to when you started playing, and give your younger self some tips?

I'd tell myself to split more time between different styles of playing instead of concentrating so hard on my fingerstyle technique.

You?

:wave:

I would tell the younger me to learn to Play the Bass not songs.....

I would also tell me to buy a {censored} load of 70's Ric 4001's and sell them in the year 2001 and make a {censored} load of money :D

• Members

H A V E M O R E F U N . . .

Yep.

I'd tell myself to "Stop being such a goddamn perfectionist, and start learning the instrument instead of always bitching about how much you suck." Well I still suck, but I've come to terms with it and I'm having a lot of fun working on sucking less.:p

Archived