What would you tell yourself...

82Daion

• Members

If you could go back in time to when you started playing, and give your younger self some tips?

I'd tell myself to split more time between different styles of playing instead of concentrating so hard on my fingerstyle technique.

You?

:wave:

• Members

In the late 80's Id've told myself:

A) Slow the f*** down. The vast majority of listeners and musicians you're gonna work with don't really want to hear some speed demon bassist.

B) Don't even bother with all that slap stuff. It only impresses kids in music stores and you're barely gonna use the technique once you hit 40.

C) Don't sweat your gear so much. Find your sound, and stick with it.

D) It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know.

E) Quit this bass thing and go into something with a real future. :p

• Members

Keep a wooden stake and a crucifix onhand always! That'll help ward off the vampires who spout platitudes like:

"It ain't about your chops"

"Less is more"

Too often, that's where their advice stops. They have no advice for trimming away the superfluous "less" and recognizing the more "less."

Keep a distance between one's self and those blood-suckers. Embrace those who offer advice as part of a purposeful thought process.

• Members

I would have told myself to listen to a lot more. When I finally 'discovered jazz', I thought I was enlightened. Bottom of the line is that there is A LOT of good music and players out there today, and it's not all about the soloists. Today, I just like listening to music that sounds good, the radio doesn't bother me as much as it did 5 years ago, there's usually a reason why people like the stuff and there's something to be learned. :lol: Music is about reaching out to people, not just to your fellow pals. What I've learned is the majority of the people that will come out to my jazz shows are musicians I have played with in the past. My other 'friends' will pass up the opportunity, because in my experience, the majority of the music only appeals to the other people that can relate to what you're playing. I've spent the majority of my time listening and playing to music with no vocals, and I've found not a lot of people care. As a musician, I think it's important to have a healthy balance reaching out to your listeners, and reaching out to yourself. If you're just doing one or the other, you're going to get bored and there's going to be no point.

• Members

-Don't discount any music recommendation from anyone; variety helps you grow as a musician.

-NEVER pass up any opportunity to play with older musicians or better musicians; both force you to play better, quicker.

-Keep your cocky mouth shut and you might learn more than you think you already know.

-Don't listen to your part solely. Listen to how your part meshes with the other instruments and complements the song as a whole.

Archived