Leo Quan Badass Bridge

jmseymour

• Members

I've played a couple basses with the Badass Bridge, and I've really liked it. The strings seem to vibrate better, sustain through the wood, and other good stuff like that. I know there's like 3 different kinds, like the Badass, Badass II, Badass slotted. I would think that the slotted one would be better because the strings would rest better on the bridge, but I was wondering if anyone out there has modified their bridge with one of these and could offer some input.

Also, I'm looking to do this to a stock bridge in my Deluxe Jazz Bass. It's good, but it could be better.

• Members

On the non-slotted versions you are supposed to file your own string slots. Some do and some don't. Not everyone find it necessary.

I've just bought a Badass II, non slotted version, for my fretless jazz. I have one on my Japanese P, and I really like it.

• Members

I'm reading other reviews elsewhere and it says the non-slotted one works better with sustain, tone, etc. How much do you think someone would charge to put this in and do a setup on my bass?

It's a very easy replacement to do yourself. Take off the old one, then put on the new. Fits perfectly. For a setup, read Kindness' Bass Setup Thread, and do it yourself. You'll save some money and learn a lot if you haven't done it before.

• CMS Author

Wouldn't the strings be all over if they weren't slotted, or does the tension pretty much hold them down well?

Yeah, they will move about if you've got a relatively heavy hand. But it's stupid-easy to groove the saddles...install the bridge, play it a while until you wear a nice line into the chrome, loosen the strings and file a slot. It only take a few swipes to make a shallow groove that's more than adequate.

• Members

I put a BadAss III on my Ibanez Blazer P and put ferrules on the back for strings through the body.

The BAIII alone was a huge improvement, but the sustain with strings through the body is massive. It just pounds.:thu:

Too bad I play only 5 stringers anymore.

• CMS Author

It's a very easy replacement to do yourself. Take off the old one, then put on the new. Fits perfectly. For a setup, read
Kindness' Bass Setup Thread
, and do it yourself. You'll save some money and learn a lot if you haven't done it before.

Eh, yes and no regarding the perfect fit. I had one on my old MIM Jazz, and when I traded that bass in, I sold the bridge to Oldivor. He had a helluva time installing it on his Fender. I think his was a string-through.

• Members

I've played a couple basses with the Badass Bridge, and I've really liked it. The strings seem to vibrate better, sustain through the wood, and other good stuff like that. I know there's like 3 different kinds, like the Badass, Badass II, Badass slotted. I would think that the slotted one would be better because the strings would rest better on the bridge, but I was wondering if anyone out there has modified their bridge with one of these and could offer some input.

Also, I'm looking to do this to a stock bridge in my Deluxe Jazz Bass. It's good, but it could be better.

I have installed one on three of my basses; my P bass, 5 string J bass and my fretless J bass.

I love 'em. :thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

On the non-slotted versions you are supposed to file your own string slots. Some do and some don't. Not everyone find it necessary.

I've just bought a Badass II, non slotted version, for my fretless jazz. I have one on my Japanese P, and I really like it.

Did you file slots, or just leave them be?

• Moderators

I need to sit down some day with a few different bridges and swap them out on a test bass. I have a hard time conceptualizing a difference between many well designed bridges. In my experience, for a Fender style bridge or replacement thereto, the most important design aspect has been the stability of the saddles. I might hear things in the test that would make me look into it more, or not. Currently, my replacement bridge of choice is the Gotoh 201.

• Members

Did you file slots, or just leave them be?

I put on the strings, played on it unslotted for a couple of days, and filed a tiny bit on the saddles where I saw the strings were sitting. Not much at all, just a tad of filing.

• Members

I put on the strings, played on it unslotted for a couple of days, and filed a tiny bit on the saddles where I saw the strings were sitting. Not much at all, just a tad of filing.

Cool, cool. I read that the string groove the saddles themsevles over time. So after a couple days, did they leave nice little marks, then?

• Members

Cool, cool. I read that the string groove the saddles themsevles over time. So after a couple days, did they leave nice little marks, then?

my advice is to put a small groove there..after really setting the string width to the most beneficial settings...as with P/J and J/J exposed pole basses

the groove will assist in restringing and keep the E from jumping off the saddle if you hit it hard..

as you can see the next generation badass already has the grooves making a point of reference..and most bridges have grooved or locating saddles..

Archived