Lyrics on CD jackets? How important are they to you?

catphish

• Members

We're figuring out the details of what were doing with the upcoming CD. Do you think having the printed lyrics in with the CD is important? If so, how important?

I'm the only one in the band who cares at all about lyrics, and I wrote almost all of them, so the decision is totally up to me.

• Members

If you have a link to a lyrics page on your website, then that is more than sufficient. It doesn't seem worth the extra printing money to put all of the lyrics on the CD jacket.

These days, all you really need is a cool cover graphic and band information on the inside. The internet is for everything else.

• Members

yeah, I've thought of that too. I've not seen it done, but I rarely buy CD's anymore.....

How do you want to market your CD? Is this more for fans coming to your shows, or to hand out to managers/agents to get more bookings/exposure?

Are you going to be putting a lot of songs online for download, or is the bulk of the album going to be exclusively on the CD?

What's the price you're putting on the album?

Those would be factors to consider when choosing how much you want to put on the CD jacket. Myself, in the rare time when I will buy an album, expect there to be some content on that jacket, otherwise why spend the extra money just for the CD when I can buy it online?

If you went the no lyrics route, I'd have you opt for a digipack instead of standard jewel case, because that would fit content-wise, but also look cool.

• Members

Personally, I like having the having the lyrics included with the CD. I actually expect it as part of the package and get disappointed when they're not included. If I'm willing to shell out cash for something I can get online for free, I want a few extra bells and whistles to come with it, namely lyrics and liner-notes. Why should I have to search it all out on the internet if I just paid good money for it? Doesn't that earn me the right to be lazy? Also, if you're the writer, it'll be a good feeling for you to see them in print with trumped-up graphics around them. I say go for it.

• Members

How do you want to market your CD? Is this more for fans coming to your shows, or to hand out to managers/agents to get more bookings/exposure?

Are you going to be putting a lot of songs online for download, or is the bulk of the album going to be exclusively on the CD?

What's the price you're putting on the album?

We'll the goal is to get signed. So, none of it will be online (all of our shows are there for free download though).

• Members

If you can afford to do it, I see no problem going with them on the cd insert.It is more expensive though.I wish we could have done this with the Gabby Hayz cd we released earlier this year, but it was just cost prohibitive so I will hopefully get a website setup soon with a page devoted to the lyrics.

• Members

Bands need to start publishing their basslines in the liner notes, cause {censored} the RIAA.
:mad:

I'm actually surprised the RIAA still allows bands to put lyrics in, but they probably haven't noticed with their noses in bellybuttons and balls on they chins.

C7

Now you're thinking. That would be an awesome trend if bands would include chord progression and performance notes for their songs.

• Members

Now you're thinking. That would be an awesome trend if bands would include chord progression and performance notes for their songs.

For major label artists, do you really think the record companies would allow then to do that, considering that they just sued to shut down all the tab sites?:confused:

C7

• Members

For major label artists, do you really think the record companies would allow then to do that, considering that they just sued to shut down all the tab sites?
:confused:
C7

Absolutely not. But for a non-major label it would be a pretty bad ass statement that might get pub.

• Members

I voted "I couldn't care less"..... Personally, thats me. I like writing lyrics but if they are printed, great, if not - so what.

However, everybody is different and there a lot of songwriters that liken lyrics on a jacket to having a book published: that is what they may feel is one of their strongest contributions to the band and its sound. Also, when discussing this with musicians in a band that do not write, the non-writing ( usually non-singing as well) musicians tend to have a "vocalist/lyricist is a 'necessary inconvenience' " attitude. The truth is, there are a lot of music listeners/ your audience/your following that may buy your CD that

are not musicians, and a lot of these people DO like having lyrics on the jacket...

$.02

• Members

I have a Steve Swallow album called "Real Book," where all of his original tunes are all lead charts in the CD jacket. Nice cover too.

Im glad it DOESN'T happen more...that would just be more fuel for ASCAP and BMI agents to circle the country finding clubs to shut down....In my area, I certainly don't need that.........

Archived