Power conditioners

countrybass

• Members

I have a Furman M8-L. It's a glorified surge protector/power strip, with lights!

I'm sure it would stop a surge, but it is not a real power conditioner. Those cost $$ and I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to explain why.

• Members

I have a Furman power conditioner. I have an M8, and it's the cheapest one they make. I find it works really well. In fact, I've found that it has really equalized my sound, kind of like a compressor. I do run a high wattage amp setup though.

• Members

I have a Furman power conditioner. I have an M8, and it's the cheapest one they make. I find it works really well. In fact, I've found that it has really equalized my sound, kind of like a compressor. I do run a high wattage amp setup though.

The M8 is just a power strip. There is no compression going on there.

• CMS Author

These "conditioners" all have a cheap little filter capacitor, and an MOV for surge protection. The MOV is a one-shot device, and the units give no indication that the MOV is good or has shot its load.

They sure as hell don't "compress" or have any other effect on an amp plugged in. They don't regulate voltage, they don't do much of anything. Get one if you have a rack and need someplace to plug in, need some lights, and don't mind paying for the convenience. But don't bother with the nearly useless "conditioning". You have to pay a LOT to get anything useful in this regard, and it sure as hell won't fit in 1U.

• Members

I have a Furman too. It's the one that has the little light guage to show your power (whatever model that is). I bought it used over 10 years ago and still haven't had a problem with it yet.

Yeah me too. It's neat to have lights and the ease of plugging one thing in on the back of my rack is nice, too. I wouldn't use one if I didn't get it for free.

Yo.

• Members

I have a Furman PM-PRO SERIES II Power Conditioner with a Digital Voltmeter and a Digital Ampmeter for my PA rack.

It claims to be able to clamp multiple 6000 VAC 3000 amp surges and remove noise. Given the amount of lightning we get in Florida, it gives me some added comfort level.

It also claims to protect against accidental connection to 208 or 240 VAC.

I also need to protect my dbx Driverack PA.

• Members

I have the Furman AR 1215. I wasn't that concerned my Hartke head died after 4 years of gigging using all kinds of electricity supplies at the venues but if that happened to my EBS rig I'd be so pissed I'd go berserk. It's expensive but so is the amp, and my tranquility is priceless.

Archived