can a 6'er...............

kingofthestring

• Members

if i were t buy a 6 string could i tune it like a gutar

EADGBE

yes, you could.

If you have years of guitar muscle memory built up I can see why you'd do this. If not, EADGCE# makes more sense, since each string is a 4th higher than the previous, or the standard BEADGC works.

But yeah, if you have the proper gauge strings you can tune it to whatever you want.

• Members

no, because you can still play lower notes and sound like a bass, because, well, you are still playing a bass with octave lower strings.

not if you tune it in E,A,D,G,C,F. you may as well tune in E,A,D,G,B,E

standard tuning for a 6 string is B,E,A,D,G,C or a half to a full step down not the other way.

the purpose in having a 6 string bass is to be able to play lower octave notes on the low end and higher octave notes on the high end for more versatility.

like mentioned before, IMO, tuning the low B to an e defeats the purpose of having a 5 or 6 string bass to begin with.

You may as well just play a 4 banger

that is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

but you can tune yours however you want:thu:

• Members

not if you tune it in E,A,D,G,C,F. you may as well tune in E,A,D,G,B,E

standard tuning for a 6 string is B,E,A,D,G,C or a half to a full step down not the other way.

the purpose in having a 6 string bass is to be able to play lower octave notes on the low end and higher octave notes on the high end for more versatility.

like I before tuning the low B to an e defeats the purpose of having a 5 or 6 string bass.

that is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

but you can tune yours however you want:thu:

Do you know what an octave is?

• Members

What? Are you saying it defeats the purpose of buying a 6 because most people get the low b, or that it's pointless since it's tuned the same (but lower) as a guitar?

it defeats the purpose because the full range of the bass is not being used if the low B string is tuned to E.

JMO.

• Members

tune your axe however you like, nothing is set in stone.

but my opinion is my opinion.

:wave:

Your first post is still baffling. What is a lower octave string?

The purpose for having a 6 string bass is not defined. It is a musical instrument. Saying that a certain tuning defeats the purpose makes as much sense as your first post. I'm just trying to figure out why someone with a Bachelor's in Music would say this. You can have all the opinions you want.

Yo.

• Members

My take on the OP's question is he wants to have a 4 string bass with 2 extra higher strings. E A D G B E.

I say yea. So he needs two higher strings from G. Probably .030-35 and .20-25.

He may be able to use a standard 6 string bass high C _for the B_, and substitute a guitars's low E for the bass high E. It could just work.

• Members

My take on the OP's question is he wants to have a 4 string bass with 2 extra higher strings. E A D G B E.

I say yea. So he needs two higher strings from G. Probably .030-35 and .20-25.

He may be able to use a standard 6 string bass high C _for the B_, and substitute a guitars's low E for the bass high E. It could just work.

Guitar low E is typically .40-50, so that would be far too thick for the high E.

Archived