Better late than never, setup revelation!

L-1329

• Members

Ok so I'm not the sharpest tool in the chest, but I just figured out a cool setup concept. A few months back I discovered that the low B on my Uber-Explorer was getting a lot of out of tune harmonics, and that lowering the bridge saddle cured a big part of that. That sure was good to find, since the bass was really irritating me with the crappy low tones and wierd harmonics. I need a little more action height than most, so I wasn't able to get the saddle as low as I'd like to eliminate all the harmonics. Well, after playing a lot of very nice basses at Kindness' place the other night I realized that my setups basically suck, and my Explorer in particular needs work. So it just occured to me that if I shimmed the neck tilt up, I could get the bridge saddle's even lower, and see if the low notes sound even better. Duh! So simple, and it worked! Why I never put two and two together before is beyond me, but I finally have some decent low tone from this bass. Right now it has D'Addario half rounds on it, which I have also decided suck on this bass, but at least I now have a quality tone down low. These things sound too much like flats and I need better definition, especially on the B and E. A good set of nickel rounds will be the next experiment on it. Someday I'll get it all figured out and sounding great. At least I now know how to eliminate the harmonic problems!:thu:

• Members

:thu:

Better now than tomorrow.

Tru dat!:thu:

Got some nickel round GHS Boomers on the way to try out, if they sound ok I'll take it to rehearsal this weekend and see how it does live. Someday I'll have her ready for the stage!:cool:

• Moderators

If you ever want to bring any of your basses over, I'd be happy to talk you through the setup process, just to make sure there isn't some other small concept you are missing. I know you have most of it totally under control, but talking through it often helps locate things you might have other missed.

My door is open any time.

• Members

If you ever want to bring any of your basses over, I'd be happy to talk you through the setup process, just to make sure there isn't some other small concept you are missing. I know you have most of it totally under control, but talking through it often helps locate things you might have other missed.

My door is open any time.

I'd love to, especially to get the LeCompte sorted back out. I kind of have it all jacked up...:o Appreciate that!

Archived