How Long Until.....

cics_husband

• Members

Not an impatient person her just wondering how long has the majority here been playing. I have heard from a ferw people that it took them about 2 years to become good enough to drop lessons and continue to learn on their own.

There's no set time frame ... we all learn at different rates and have different gifts. Some people can learn totally on their own and others never seem to get the hang of it! Only YOU can decide when to stop lessons. And remember ... if you stop them you can always start them again.:thu:

• Members

How much time you spend daily on the instrument, how organized you are in your practice and which level you expect to reach count much more than how long you've been playing.

I've been playing for over 15 years and there as still many things I can't play.

Not because I suck but because I didn't take the time to work on them.

+1

Started at 17, took lessons for a year. Took a few more lessons at 20. Learned a lot in college jazz band and some church playing. Practically stopped playing from 22-26. Started playing again at 26, immediately playing with other musicians several times a month. Still do, now 30. Unfortunately, I usually play more than I practice.

• Members

Twenty years this fall. Started in middle school in the orchestra, then went through high school and picked up electric bass in jazz band my junior year. Senior year I was playing in the orchestra, chamber orchestra, band, jazz band and show choirs and subbing for theatre stuff when my teacher couldn't do it.

After high school, I toured Europe with a youth symphony and did a summer stock stint in New Hampshire. Went into college and focused on art, and gigged all the time, since all of the bass students in the school of music didn't have time to read down a fake book or two. Landed two years playing at Cedar Point during the summer days, while playing in a cover band and jazz band at nights.

Got out of school and joined a rock band. Did that - and only that - for five years. Looking back, the five years solely focusing on one thing was the biggest mistake I could've made. Aside from that time, I was always taking lessons from bassists, and some guitarists/trumpeters/etc.. to learn a different way to solo, or even view my role.

It's been two years since I ditched the rock band thing, and I'm back to square one it seems, playing jazz and gigging around town in theatres. Funny how stuff like that comes full circle.

• Members

Bought my first bass 5 years ago.

Started taking lessons after 2 frustrating months of trying to teach myself with some books.

It was too easy to get distracted & impatient without the guidance of a teacher who can help prioritize and keep focus.

I've taken group classes & private lessons for a few years. Now I'm taking private lessons with a drummer. Instead of bass lessons, it's rhythm section lessons.

• Members

2 years to become good enough to drop lessons and continue to learn on their own.

Man 2 years to teach lessons. well that is far too long. I have practically {censored} groove since birth.

Seriously, take lessons. I had been playing guitar for 7 years before I got a bass, and I was lost just teaching myself. When I started lessons, it improved my skill so much more in that 1/2 year period then a two year period of my guitarage.

I've been playing bass for about 6 years now, guitar for 13.

Archived