How Long Until.....

cics_husband

• Members

I was talented immediately after I picked up the bass. As a matter of fact, I played "YYZ" in the pawn shop when I was checking out my first bass. I wasn't sure how it happened, but by week 2 I was throwing "Portrait of Tracy" all over the dweebs in the high school jazz band. They asked me to join but since I don't read music I didn't want to make any of them look foolish.

C7

• Members

Honestly, are you ever really "there?" Lots of top players still take lessons from others. There's SOOOO much to learn. I never took lessons, but it only took me a year to really "get it" and be able to play a couple of different styles well, know pentatonic scale major and minor, etc. But, I learn something new almost every week. I've been playing 20 years.

• Members

I've been playing bass since the summer of 2002, but played trombone my whole life which helped me considerably.

Once of the reasons bass often gets looked at as an easy instrument is that you can become "good enough" for many types of music pretty quick. As far as lessons, I just started taking lessons on bass 5 years into it and I don't see my self ever stopping. The value of lessons is huge. I wish I'd started sooner.

• Members

Good to hear the different ranges as far as time is concerned. My biggest asset is desire. I tend to throw myself nto whatever I'm doing at the time so practice is not an issue, but unlike some of you I may not be a natural. The guy who I will be taking lessons from is supposed to be a genius. Lets hope he is as good a teacher as he is a player. I heard so many good things about the guy.

• Members

I started playing just under 2 years ago. I practiced a ton when I first started, and I got pretty decent pretty quick. My town is extremely lacking when it comes to bass players, so word about me spread pretty quick. I was jamming with other musicians in about 6 months. After my first jam I realized I didn't know a ton of thoery, so I've been studying that on my own since then.

Right now I have two main jam groups, and a couple bands will call me up if they need a bassist for a jam. Since I graduated last year, I'll be hired at the high school next year to play bass in the band [since there aren't any willing [or skilled] bass players]. It's funny, because all the band kids are like "You should have been in here since freshman year!" and I usually reply with "I couldn't have, I've only been playing for a year and a half!" A lot them don't believe me either, which is kind of annoying.

• Members

How much time you spend daily on the instrument, how organized you are in your practice and which level you expect to reach count much more than how long you've been playing.

I've been playing for over 15 years and there as still many things I can't play.

Not because I suck but because I didn't take the time to work on them.

• Members

well hopefully with a combo of a great teacher and hard work I will be at a minimum good shortly. I am actually just learning for no other reason than I have always wanted to play, but listening to you all makes me want to play with a group of some kind also.

• Members

well hopefully with a combo of a great teacher and hard work I will be at a minimum good shortly. I am actually just learning for no other reason than I have always wanted to play, but listening to you all makes me want to play with a group of some kind also.

I started with lessons on bass back in high school 15 years ago, but never really took it seriously.

I started playing with a group of guys as a jam band around a year ago with guitar, but they needed a bass player so I got my gear back out and for the last 8 months I've been playing bass and have learned more in those 8 months than in the previous 14 years.

Play with a group. It's one sure fire way to get better in a short time.

• Members

I played guitar for about 15 years before I started playing bass - and have now been playing bass for around 15 years... No doubty my guitar background "helped" to pick up the bass - as a guitarist, I played from age 10 'til 13, before playing a gig in my 1st actual band...

I would have to say that *if* a person had enough desire, they could gain a fair amount of bass proficiency in less than 2 years - depends on the individual...

- georgestrings

• Moderators

I've been playing bass since the summer of 2002, but played trombone my whole life which helped me considerably.

Once of the reasons bass often gets looked at as an easy instrument is that you can become "good enough" for many types of music pretty quick. As far as lessons, I just started taking lessons on bass 5 years into it and I don't see my self ever stopping. The value of lessons is huge. I wish I'd started sooner.

My numbers are different (started playing in 1995), lessons in (1996, 2002-forever), but the sentiment is the exact same.

• Members

I got my first bass for my 15th birthday almost 30 years ago. I was in a band and gigging within 6 months, and made decent money playing weekend gigs throughout high school and college. I currently play in a geezer rock band, and we have our first playing gigs at the end of August.

Archived