Best value budget Bass Rig for home recording?

AgentOrange

• Members

Im a guitarist by trade, but im tired of sequencing all my bass parts and it would save me a ton of time to record them properly, but i dont have a bass or bass amp. I dont have a lot to spend, lets say a few hundred quid on a bass and something to make it loud. What basses should i be looking at? Ibanez budget stuff is usually the best value, but which models? I play 7 string, so id need a 5 string bass. Id also be looking to record direct too. My recorded stuff is the mephesto link in my sig, so im looking for a bass that could fill out that kinda mix

Any ideas?

James

• Members

Check out a Schecter Studio five string. They have the best, fullest and richest low B tone of any bass I've ever played in that price range. great basses for reasonable cost. That plus the afforementioned SansAmp BDDI would work very well for you.:cool:

• Members

Cheers guys, ive looked at the sansamp and if it does what it says then im sure its a winner. That said, i wasnt too wowed with the PSA-1 for guitar, but i hear their bass stuff is better, are there any clips i can hear? The site only does the guitar stuff it seems. Ill probably end up with a POD eventually, especially when i move to london, but i wanna wait for their next gen stuff, the XTs been around for ages, so they must be working on something.

James

• Members

I record straight out of my bass into the computer.

The secret for me here is what I do to the track after the initial recording: for me, that means I normalize it and compress afterwards ( I use anywhere between 3.5:1 up to 5:1 and sometimes I do it twice depending on technique. I also take the time to mute noise between notes and in the dead areas. Its a painstaking process but worth it for me....

Archived