Question for lefty's

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

i say he should go right, just opens so much more doors gear wise

Thats what I was thinking. He doesn't know any better, and another one of my firends bought a lefty bass which ended up costing 50 more than the righty. I just want to give the guy a fair chance, even though I don't think he will really stick with it.

• Members

I'm a lefty.

The best advice I got was: it's gonna be awkward any way, so learn to play righthanded.

I've never regretted it. In fact, there are lots of times when I was thankful.

--Break a string; no time to re-string my own bass; go grab the house's righthanded bass.

--Being able to loan my bass to someone who needs it.

• Members

as a lefty, I chose to learn guitar and bass right-handed, because you can easily pick up any right-hand model and play. It would be much easier for me to go lefty, since I've played piano all my life, lefty makes rhythm left/melody right, much like piano, but then you either always need your own instrument, or need to get damn lucky. YMMV!:thu:

• Members

Whichever feels more natural to him. I tried righty and it sucked big time! I switched to lefty (strung correctly - mirror image) and I have never looked back. There have been many times when I was glad that no one else could pick up my bass and play it. I also ended up playing in a pretty good band because of being left-handed, but that is a long story.

Let him decide which is better for him. No one - righty or lefty - will give him grief for his decision.

• Members

I grew up in a house with two right handed guitarists, and they showed me the right-handed method, but it was never correct for me. I quit playing until I could get myself a left handed instrument, and I'm so glad I did.

Archived