New Pedals.... Ampeg & Marshall in a box

James Hart

• Members

I was looking for a cool dirt box that could give me a Tony Iommi meets Eddie Van Halen tone on my 7 string bass... I found www.runoffgroove.com and the "Thor" and liked the clips.

I inquired with www.olcircuits.com to see if they'd build me one (since I doubt my skill on building my own) and they had just started building their first one and were about to add it to the website.

not quite Marshall with the bass... but only because I like it with the gain up higher than the authentic range of the pedal.

Next up, I was looking for a "Vintage Box" for my flat strung fretted 5 (white Benavente)... ok, I was looking for that Ampeg tone ;)

Meet the "Flipster"

it's a 60s SB-12 Portaflex circuit adopted to a tone / dirt box. I think it nails that old school tone perfectly!

I recorded a couple clips of just Bass -> Flipster -> soundcard....

Clip #1

Clip #2

I've got the "Orange Peel" http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_orangepeel.html on order... 1974 Orange MKII head adopted into a dirt box. Also an unadvertised Orange Juicer clone (HCFX mod Phil commissioned the first one, I'm getting a copy of his) and they are making my custom buffered blender :thu:

• Members

besides the Orange... they have a Hiwatt in a box pedal too. Some people on TB were chatting with the builder and these boxes are meant to work as preamps too.

"Preamp" as in "able to drive a power amp"?

These are so {censored}ing cool. An audio engineer friend of mine and I will be ordering several of these kits to experiment with (Hiwatt, Dumble, Flip, etc.). We're gonna try to figure out if we can add a mic-level output on these for recording purposes.

• Members

"Preamp" as in "able to drive a power amp"?

These are so {censored}ing cool. An audio engineer friend of mine and I will be ordering several of these kits to experiment with (Hiwatt, Dumble, Flip, etc.). We're gonna try to figure out if we can add a mic-level output on these for recording purposes.

Yes the owner said they would drive poweramps. I don't own one currently to test that.

My flipster clip is my white Benavente in passive mode (Dimarzio Ultra Jazz -> flipster -> M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard

the Thor was the same but my active Bee -> Thor -> card

• Members

its a shame that these cosmetics are one-off. I am SURE that they'd be easily marketable for a reasonable amount just because they are not a silk-screened cast box.

flipster-001.jpg

one off? this is how the pre built pedals look. If you order a kit, it's a plain metal box.... prebuilt pedals are as shown!

here is the Orange Peel I'm getting

olc_orangepeel.jpg

and the unadvertised "Sunkist Squeeze"

olc_sunkistsqueeze.jpg

• Members

I swapped the 220K feedback resistor (which connects two legs of the IC) with ~175K which I made by putting a 100K and a 75K in series. The IC is actually two processors, so the pinouts of each "half" are applied differently between different builds of the Squeezer, so it won't always be the same two pins. Just look for the two that are connected to each other by a 220K resistor. On the Tonepad site they recommended 200K, but I experimented and found slightly lower values were even better.

I swapped the 4.7uF bleeder cap, which is the one that connects the diode to ground, with a 10uF as recommended on Tonepad.

They recommended swapping the 4.7uF output cap with a 1uF; I experimented with a few values, and just settled back on the 4.7. I'm not sure if I actually heard any difference, TBH. Also, normally I'd replace an electrolytic with a "good" non-polar cap (e.g. polyester) in the audio path, but I didn't happen to have anything good in such a large size, and they wouldn't have fit in the pedal anyway. I tried a mylar .68uF, and it sounded terrible, so I stayed with electrolytic.

The flipster is getting a transistor replaced to allow for more clean headroom

• Members

That Thor is a bit too distorted for even my tastes
;)
, but the Flipster does sound a lot like my SB-12.
:thu:

yeah, it's more authentic at lower gains... but I like the over the top distortion it puts out too :thu:

I was shocked how real the Flipster sounds.

• Members

James,

It doesnt say that, all it says is "Note: this is a prebuilt pedal for illustrative purposes. The kit version will be bare metal... an open canvas upon which to add your touch."

Perhaps as a suggestion, it should be more clearly stated? They're too great looking not to market as complete pieces

Archived