Job search takes new twist......

bassred

• Members

So I'd been looking in my field of audio, and it seems that the shop that let me go was not lying, no one is very busy right now..... so I'm between a rock and a broke placeright now, looking at moving furniture or making signs..... I came across ana d looking for entry level police and corrections officers wih teh City of North Las Vegas.... I work for the City part time, so I can't ge any special treatment, but I've dropped off an application and I'm starting to prepare for the physical test. I took the written test for MD state prisons before I moved out here to Vegas, so I'll study a bit, but it was super easy (both my twin brother and I finished in the top class and in about 25 minutes, some of the slack-jawed rednecks taking the test were really struggling with the questions...) so here's what I need to attain (and probably think I can already do except the running part)

Height by vertical jump 14 inches

sit-ups 15 in 1 minute

push-ups 18 (no time limit)

300 meter run 77 seconds

1.5 mile run/walk 17 min 17 seconds

so I'll be hitting the treadmill, tht's for sure!!

The base pay is f*ckin awesome (I don't think my twin is making what I'll be making and he's been at it 5 years) and it would allow my wife and I to breathe a little more easily, we could get a second vehicle (like a motorcycle for my commute) and she could look into going back to school, which she has put off to let me pursue freelance work in audo for the last two years......

So I need som HCBF mojo sent my way, it's a huge departure from what I'm doiung now, but I need steady (that's the reason I was working in an audio shop, but even that proved to not be steady......)

Bassred, corrections officer... I like the sound of hat!

• Members

So I need som HCBF mojo sent my way, it's a huge departure from what I'm doiung now, but I need steady (that's the reason I was working in an audio shop, but even that proved to not be steady......)

Bassred, corrections officer... I like the sound of hat!

Mojo sent. :thu:

As the son of a former Federal agent, I can tell you that Law enforcement can be grueling to you and your family.

You'll earn every cent, bro.

Keep your eyes open and your head clear - you'll be surrounded by dangerous animals.

That said, keeping sight of the goodness of humanity can also go a long way towards keeping your outlook sane.

Many cops/feds I've met have allowed their dealings with dirtbags to affect their outlook on life - just try to remember, most humans are fundamentally good...

• Members

Height by vertical jump 14 inches

sit-ups 15 in 1 minute

push-ups 18 (no time limit)

300 meter run 77 seconds

1.5 mile run/walk 17 min 17 seconds

That's a piece of cake! A fat assed donut eating cop could do that...

The run/walk is a joke...most could people could walk that distance in 17 minutes. Easily...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do all of it no problem!!!

• Members

The run/walk is a joke...most could people could walk that distance in 17 minutes. Easily...

I know... that kind of worries me that they're held to such a low standard.

• Members

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do all of it no problem!!!

my thoughts exactly...

18 pushups with no time limit? where the hell do i sign up???

• Members

I'm only a little worried about the running bcause I had asthma as a kid..... These standards are for both the entry level police and the corrections officer job..... seemed a little light to me too, but I aint complainin'!!!!!!

My twin brother has definitely let it gt to him a bit, but he really enjoys it! on vacation he was talking about some advanced training he got where they were pelting him with pepper balls, he was in heaven getting his ass kicked by the 'swat' team of the prison...

• Members

I'm only a little worried about the running bcause I had asthma as a kid..... These standards are for both the entry level police and the corrections officer job..... seemed a little light to me too, but I aint complainin'!!!!!!

My twin brother has definitely let it gt to him a bit, but he really enjoys it! on vacation he was talking about some advanced training he got where they were pelting him with pepper balls, he was in heaven getting his ass kicked by the 'swat' team of the prison...

a brisk walking pace (easily sustainable by most people) will net you approximately a 11 to 12 minute mile. extend that to 1.5 miles and you're still pretty safe. run a reasonable portion of that (run, don't sprint) and you're even better off...

• Members

These standards are for both the entry level police and the corrections officer job.....

DAMN! I wish it was that easy in CT. I was going to take the test to be a State Trooper. It's harder...not by much though. The only thing I can't do is the sit-n-reach. I am not flexible at all! When I try to touch my toes, I'm pretty close to being a foot away! In my age bracket, I would have had to reach 4 inches past my toes just to pass!!!

Everything else I would have killed at. Why does being flexible mean that you are fit? I was/am 10 times fitter than most of the people trying out...as well as most of the cops in this area. That 1.5 mile run that you are doing...I would finish it in about 8 minutes, maybe less if I felt like killing myself. Marines...

• Members

I'll find a 1.5 mile path in my neighborhood and see what I do it in at an easy pace....

I think the average for running the mile is something like 8 minutes, so that would mean 14 minutes for 1.5 miles...and that's at a very slow jogging pace.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to start running on a regular basis. It'll get you more in shape. Some of those inmates that you'd have to deal with are bad mother{censored}ers...and they're huge...and they don't give 2 {censored}s about you.

• Members

this is a City position, one little jail... no prisons, just one jail... I'm not too afraid of them running, the justice center is always crawling with cops and such....

I always end up with knee problems when I try to start running, unless I do my running on a treadmill (cushioning) .... I guess I could drink more milk or something........

Archived