Hipshot Detuner Users...question.

guitargod0dmw

• Members

I have a hipshot on one of my 4 strings. I use it...it's cool.

I just picked up a 2nd one. I now have a need to go from E - D and back again in our new song, and I was planning on installing it on my SR4. However, I use my SR5 much more...and it would be pretty cool to be able to go from D - B on the low B string. I assume that I'd be able to set it up to drop 1 1/2 steps, but I haven't tried. I would probably also get some use out of the low B in this song...

Has anyone out there done this? Does it work?

• Members

An old friend of mine had a Detuner on a T-40 and had it set up to go from E-B. You can do it, but that much of a tension loss really made the (detuned) B quite flubby with little definition.

That's not what I want to do though...

This will be on a 5 string...with the 5th string going from D (lever up) - B (lever down)...so flub won't be a problem, since it's a .130 in the first place.

According to their site, it's possible to go from E-C (1 1/2 steps) so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I'll try it tonight and find out.

• Members

Would the additional tension on the B-string cause it to break?

I had it tuned to D for our last practice...and it worked fine. There wasn't much added tension...but I could still tell it was tighter than normal. Maybe after repeated flips, it could weaken it...but I don't think it'll be a problem.

• Members

It works like a charm...

Now onto that damn Modulus and it's ugly gold hardware! I'm looking at changing it all to black, and figuring out who made the stock bridge and tuners is a bitch! The bridge looks like a Hipshot A, but it doesn't match exactly...and the tuners look like Gotoh...but again not quite.

Archived