When is the right time to start looking for a band?

Phulcrum

• Members

I can probably answer this question myself, but I wanted to hear some more established folks take on it. At what stage is one competent enough to get out and start auditioning? I have this horrible fear of showing up, plugging in and sounding like a complete amateur, which very much might be where I still am.

I consider myself and advanced beginner. I don't have great chops, but I do know general theory, some basic modal playing and I have acceptable rhythm. I am fairly good at listening and adapting (I am a big fan of improv music). I am looking to play music for fun, not as a career. I am mature, responsible, dedicated, reliable, completely sober and passionate about wanting to learn more about creating music.

I have been on 2 auditions already. I went into both without ever hearing more then 15 seconds of the material. One was a blues/rock band with which I managed to keep up a little. I had fun playing once I settled in. The second was an early 90's metal disaster which had me completely lost. That episode put a big dent in my confidence.

Sadly there are not all too many opportunities in this area. Anyway, any thoughts?

• Members

The thing about bass guitar is that it's pretty easy to get proficient on for many different types of music. that's a blessing and a curse. Playing in a group setting gives you experiences that no amount of practice on your own can give you, and that's a great thing that we can typically get into a band at a very early stage in our learning of the instrument. The curse is that for many people, they feel like since they are in a band there is less incentive (and if the band is serious there's less time) to progress further on the instrument.

More than likely you're good enough to play with a band of some sort now, and you should go find that band immediately, just make sure you keep getting better on the instrument all the while.

• Members

The thing about bass guitar is that it's pretty easy to get proficient on for many different types of music. that's a blessing and a curse. Playing in a group setting gives you experiences that no amount of practice on your own can give you, and that's a great thing that we can typically get into a band at a very early stage in our learning of the instrument. The curse is that for many people, they feel like since they are in a band there is less incentive (and if the band is serious there's less time) to progress further on the instrument.

More than likely you're good enough to play with a band of some sort now, and you should go find that band immediately, just make sure you keep getting better on the instrument all the while.

+1

This guy knows what's up :thu:

• Members

Now's the time...Put an ad on craigslist...Don't tell people you're a newer player...Just find some people that want to have fun, like similar music and start playing. Some auditions will suck and some of them will be interesting. All of them will be good experience for you. Ask the people what songs they are doing and learn them and practice up before going to the audition. Nothing sucks worse than showing up and not knowing any of the tunes. If you're even 1/2 way prepared you'll be fine. I've always been of the mind set to surround myself with people that were better musicians than I am. It forces me to bring myself up to a new level. It's worked so far. I still consider myself a hack of a player but I'm getting paid every weekend and the group I'm with ain't 1/2 bad.

• Members

Only one way to get your feet wet, bro - jump on in...

RE: Fear of embarrassment:

I will GUARANTEE that there isn't a sinlge performing musician on the planet that hasn't been embarrassed a time or two - and none of 'em died as a result... Once you come to terms with that notion, you'll be fine...

- georgerstrings

• Members

I first played my bass for like 3 years before I even thought about playing with other musicians. I could play just about any song, slap, and do some technical stuff like finger tap. On a whim, I went and practiced with a few of my high school friends. It was a totally different experience. I was scared {censored}less, couldn't play worth a damn, and just froze. It was like learning bass all over again. I soon grew to play a lot better, and noticed that my confidence in my playing grew as well.

• Members

I'll add one more! Yes...NOW! IMHO, you can only get so good by yourself. You need to be surrounded by other musicians to constantly challenge you and make you try things that you might not think of on your own. I took lessons for a few years but never knew how to apply or use what I was learning. Once I got into a band it all fell into place and made sense. My first audition (I was 14 and played guitar) was ok...and I'm sure that they all thought I sucked...but a few weeks later I was better than the guitarist that started the band. The drummer saw something in me I guess, because we've been playing together ever since...and we've both seen a HUGE progression in our playing skills. We went from being total amateurs to professionals...it's actually pretty cool to think about it!

• Members

i took up the bass, specifically to have more options open for bands. (played guitar for 10 years)

most people are pretty accepting when you audition, and I know then when I do an audition I am more concerned with the person, and their personality then playability. Because you may be the greatest bassist in the world, but if you're an ass I'll kick you out in a week.

same goes for you!

• Members

This is true for guitar as well, if you start playing a certain genre that rides heavily on power chords.

Archived