OT:Anorexia

Anesthesia

• Members

1. you guys are both kids, more or less.

2. she has an eating disorder.

therefore, 3: if you want to help her, then help her. tell her parents. get her to a doctor, take her there yourself without telling anyone. get her to tell them everything, or tell them yourself. it's your moral obligation. if you really want to see her be well, then either take her to someone who will help her, or get her parents involved. she'll hate you now, yes, and it will damage your friendship irreparably for quite some time. ten years from now, when she's healthy and *alive*, she'll call you up and thank you for saving her life.

i say this as an MD and a guy who has dated three women with eating disorders over the years, one of whom died two years after we dated.

• Members

:cry:

There are some of us who, for whatever reason, choose not to be around for long. Life is too much for them. It is sad but true.

If she isn't going to help herself there's not much you're going to do. She needs to get out of her own way and choose to reverse this.

I have had a few friends who chose not to be here now and sometimes I miss them terribly. However, I do not feel sorry for them. There was nothing I, or anyone else, could say or do to stop them.

• Members

1. you guys are both kids, more or less.

2. she has an eating disorder.

therefore, 3: if you want to help her, then help her. tell her parents. get her to a doctor, take her there yourself without telling anyone. get her to tell them everything, or tell them yourself. it's your moral obligation. if you really want to see her be well, then either take her to someone who will help her, or get her parents involved. she'll hate you now, yes, and it will damage your friendship irreparably for quite some time. ten years from now, when she's healthy and *alive*, she'll call you up and thank you for saving her life.

i say this as an MD and a guy who has dated three women with eating disorders over the years, one of whom died two years after we dated.

and +1

Great posts, guys.

A - her body can and will become permanently damaged if she doesn't get help soon. Even when someone suffering from Anorexia Nervosa (Binging/Purging and/or Restricting type) or Bulimia Nervosa (Purging Type) gets treatment and is on the road to recovery, they can still die. For example, Karen Carpenter was 33 when she died. She was on the road to recovery, and she died of cardiac arrest. The disease/starvation affects the bodies tissues horribly - they essentially eat themselves away in order to gain any amount of sustenance. The heart is often one of the main victims in this horrible condition, and in Karen Carpenter's case, her heart was so weakened that in spite of her recovery, it was no longer strong enough to keep her alive.

People who are suffering like she does need to be hospitalized urgently - the sooner, the better. Hospitalization is not only required to restore a more normal body weight, but also to 'reset' the body's electrolyte and fluid imbalances. Most often, the entire family needs to take part in the therapeutic process, as this is truly a family problem/disorder.

FYI - 10% of individuals who suffer from these disorders (mostly girls - onset is usually between 14-18 years of age) die.

Archived