OT: Entry-level photography

Neonfacelift

• Members

Can anyone recommend me a good camera? I'm looking into maybe getting a used digital SLR. From the little bit I've read, that kind of seems like the way to go. Is there anything out there in the $500 or less range, or any suggestions as far as brands go? I'm not ruling out used, although I'd rather not go that route. Not looking to be a badass. Just seems like something I'd enjoy and would like to get something that's not crap. Thanks.

• Members

Can anyone recommend me a good camera? I'm looking into maybe getting a used digital SLR. From the little bit I've read, that kind of seems like the way to go. Is there anything out there in the $500 or less range, or any suggestions as far as brands go? I'm not ruling out used, although I'd rather not go that route. Not looking to be a badass. Just seems like something I'd enjoy and would like to get something that's not crap. Thanks.

I have a Pentax K100D and a Kodak easy share Z612

the Pentax is a great camera I have taken some great shots with it. it is a lot of camera with many features I have yet to utilize.

the Kodak is a P&S with Dslr Features and I have gotten some great shots with it to. sometimes I prefer it to the Pentax for ease of use.

check out the Kodak P880 also

read some reviews here

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/

• Members

I have a Pentax K100D and a Kodak easy share Z612

the Pentax is a great camera I have taken some great shots with it. it is a lot of camera with many features I have yet to utilize.

the Kodak is a P&S with Dslr Features and I have gotten some great shots with it to. sometimes I prefer it to the Pentax for ease of use.

check out the Kodak P880 also

read some reviews here

Thanks you. I'll check those out.

• Members

Depends on how far you want to go. I really dig how the Pentax k100d feels in my hands. It takes great pictures, and the on-board stabilizer is just a great idea. Any Pentax lens EVER made can be a image stabilized lens so long as you use it with the camera. Very nice.

Canon is pretty much tried and true. They take great pictures right out of the box, you can choose from millions of different lenses, and there's mad amount of aftermarket support for it. You can find an XT pretty cheap these days. Great entry D slr.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Go find a store that'll let you play with them. See how they feel in your hands, and see how the menu feels, and such.

• Members

I use a Canon 20D for work and its pretty bloody good, Its been replaced with the 30D now, but I understand the Canon Rebel (350) is the same camera internally and a bunch cheaper (I think the body is not built quite as tough). A buddy of mine uses one and he also takes photos professionally but only needed a knock around 'cheap' digital.

I'd stick to either Pentax, Canon, Nikon etc.. Just better support, especially if you want to start buying 2nd hand lenses (I almost always buy 2nd hand.

As for optical quality.. meh, its a lot of personal opinion most of the time.. Some of the 3rd party lenses like Sigma, Tokina and Tamron are great value.

The features on most of them in that range will be similar, but DP Review is a great site for in depth reviews.

Archived