Need a little help here

jersey_bass

• Members

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was a product that splits the high and low output signal from my bass amp (Kustom Groove 1200 with Speakon outputs only) so that I can run my 18" cab with the low frequencies and my 4X10" with the high and mids. I know that I should have bought a bi-amped head but I don't have the extra cash right now and when I bought the head I was only using the one cab. Any help or direction that you guys could point me in would be great. Thanks.

• Members

You could put a passive 2nd order low-pass filter in the 18" box. They're super easy to do, hopefully Burdizzos will be along to recommend something. It's two parts as far as I know, a capacitor and an inductor, just need the values.

IMO there's no reason not to run the 4x10 full range if you can eliminate the mid 'bark' from the 18". I think you'd notice a significant drop in overall output if you cut the lows out of the 4x10, but I could be wrong.

C7

• Moderators

You could put a passive 2nd order low-pass filter in the 18" box. They're super easy to do, hopefully Burdizzos will be along to recommend something. It's two parts as far as I know, a capacitor and an inductor, just need the values.

IMO there's no reason not to run the 4x10 full range if you can eliminate the mid 'bark' from the 18". I think you'd notice a significant drop in overall output if you cut the lows out of the 4x10, but I could be wrong.

C7

This sounds like a really good plan to me.

• Members

As C7 said, a passive crossover will do the trick.

I'd recommend putting the crossover in the 1x18 such that you'd run the output of the amp to the 1x18 and then out of the 1x18 to the 4x10. This way you can use the 4x10 as a full range stand alone when the 1x18 isn't needed.

Now, the hard part.

Here's a chart that shows you the values that you will need for the crossover components.

Here's a page with components.

Personally, I'd go with a 12 dB slope on both the HP and LP. I'd also set the crossover points as 120 Hz for the LP and 150 to 200 for the HP.

Archived