Song Recommendations for Audition with Funk Band

y-o-y

• Members

I am auditioning for a funk band and have been asked to suggest 3-4 songs for my audition. I'm not a true/pure funk player, so I am trying to figure out some good songs to play.

The audition will be a trio (drum-bass-keys), so I need some songs that will lend well to that setup and I don't play slap very well. Also, I don't really know what flavor of funk they are looking for, so I kinda wanna keep it simple and go with songs I can settle into the groove and not have to worry about being flashy.

I am thinking maybe some Meters, James Brown, etc.

Suggestions?

• Members

Keep it simple fingerstyle:

Meters- "Sissy Strut"

Stevie Wonder- "Superstitious"

James Brown- "I Got Soul"

Let them know upfront that your slap skilz aren't sharp, but phrase it like "I need to work them in with a new drummer." if they are harping on the slap styley.

The most important part to a funk audition isn't nailing all the parts, it's nailing the FEEL; find the deepest part of the pocket, and build a brick {censored}ing house there.:D

C7

• Members

not really funk in its truest form, more like funky jazz, but with that lineup (bass, keys and drums) maybe you could suggest some medeski martin and wood songs if you are familiar with them.

what a coincidence....a friend of mine at work just gave me a copy of one of their earlier albums, Shack Man, from 1996

I'd never heard of them before :confused: ....anyways I take the album home...and didn't really like that much of it except for 1 song....Jelly Belly...

It's got a great bass line that sets up and drives the whole song...

I spent about 2 hours on it last night and another 45 minutes this morning...

great stuff...

but the rest of the album...to me it's like "ok roll the tape and we'll dick around for 5-6 minutes...then we'll do it 10 more times and call it an album."

I probably need to listen to it some more..or try something else by them...

any suggestions....?

• Members

Why aren't they telling what to learn for the audition? Are they just so , um, that any song you learn, they will already know?

I found it a bit strange too. I am going to get on the phone with these guys in the next couple of days and get the details, but I think they are just in the "let's put a funk band together" stage and haven't fully thought out what that means.

thanks for the suggestions

• Members

hopefully the latter!

If they're the latter, just groove. Think Meters/ JB's, and get some organ trio stuff. like Soulive, Medeski Martin and Wood, and some real organ trio stuff, like Booker T and the MG's, Brother Jack Mc Duff, etc.

If it's the former, EWF, Rick James, Gap Band, Cameo, Etc.

If you don't work out, you know who's number to give them right????;)

• Members

Interesting challenge. Interesting thread.

y-o-y, if your suspicions are correct, you may be involved with determining what you'd consider funk to be within this band's context.

So, maybe that's part of why you have to pick some songs.

I don't want to suggest that anyone's concept of funk is wrong, but many of the previous suggestions IMHO are funky, but not Funk.

Chameleon is funky, but it still feels too intellectual to be Funk.

Songs that aren't just funky, but personal examples of Funk:

Cholly -- Funkadelic

Slide -- Slave

Groovallegiance -- Funkadelic

Get it Up -- The Time

Get up, Get Into it, Get Involved -- James Brown

Keep it Hot -- Cameo

What separates these songs from Brickhouse? It's hard to say. The Commodores just feel like funky R&B to me.

• Members

I probably need to listen to it some more..or try something else by them...

any suggestions....?

i have the albums; out louder (2006) and last chance to dance trance (1999) and i like just about everything on them as well as anything i hear on sirius 17, jam_on by them.

that is their basic style tho, just more jam than structure. that newer cd might be a little tighter than the cd you have although i dont think i have heard anything on it.

• Members

i have the albums; out louder (2006) and last chance to dance trance (1999) and i like just about everything on them as well as anything i hear on sirius 17, jam_on by them.

that is their basic style tho, just more jam than structure. that newer cd might be a little tighter than the cd you have although i dont think i have heard anything on it.

thanks - I'll take a look around...:thu:

• Members

Funk is soooooo broad "these days". I mean somebody named Elvis Costello as a funk artist. WTF???

Exactly why I asked here...the term funk has become somewhat nebulous - to me at least. I think Brother Mango nailed it by saying many of the suggestions are "funky", but not "funk".

• Members

THere's a lot to be said for some good old fingerstyle funk too. Slap and pop can get old really quickly, but you nai the feel down and let i rip, you can keep it funky all night long!

I need to getme some Booker T, I used to jam to that stuff all the time... anyone know anything about the STAX documentary , like where I ca find a copy?

Archived