5-string bass - what's that all about?

marsguitars

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was never comfortable on a four-string. For the melodic style I play, inevitably I'd start a run, then have to shift position to finish it, and it just got old.

With a five I was able to easily play two octave across the neck, and suddenly the fingerboard just opened up to me.

For me, it would have been a lot of extra practice and expense just to pick the extra notes from E-flat to open B, didn't seem practical just to buy it for that, though it is handy for all those tunes edtuned to E-flat or D.

For a lot of things, I often approach it as combining first and second position: Place the root of a tune in D or E on the big B string and work across, you can play lots of things like that without ever moving your hand. At this point, you're flirting with second position while you're actually playing stuff you used to play down against the nut.

I would never dream of going back to a four-string, and only own fives. As far as sixes or that JDrozd multi-string beast in the picture, I think you should play whatever it takes and suits you to achieve what you're after. Fives suit me and the things I like to play. I hope I'm getting a lot out of my fives, and I could NOT do what I do on a four, so maybe that's my answer to your question.

Other players remark that it DOESN'T SOUND (right after I tagged the end of tune in D with a low D) like I'm playing a five, so I take that as a compliment,

and maybe another answer to your question. GOT to be careful where you put those low C's and D's .. . . . .

• Members

sure thing, using the Low C and B too muc makes it seem like you are TRYING to get more out of your 5er, bt if hat's how you wnat the song to sound (really low) then gofor it! I like to punch the Low C or B in the last chorusses or when the songs breaks down then it fills in a lot of spce without souding too busy..... A 5er also gives you the open B and octave B on the E string to play around wth, I love doing tha, hit the B on fret 7 of the E string an the pen B at the same time and really move the crowd!!!!!

• Members

I make the most of it. I LOVE playing in E without using the open string. I also love playing in D and C using the lower scale, especially D. I rarely use the open B, it's a little too much and I prefer to fret notes if I can anyways.

+1 :thu:

• Members

For me, it's being able to play songs in drop tunings without using a hipshot or switching basses.

This, plus the extra notes to be extra heavy in the bridge/hard part of a song.

I REALLY want a 6er to be able to do chordal droning stuff, too.

Or maybe a 7...

• Members

For me, it's being able to play songs in drop tunings without using a hipshot or switching basses.

I still use a hipshot on my 5ers! I just installed on on my SR5 so I can tune the low B UP...to D. That way I can basically play in drop D without using a separate bass. However...I'm using it in the middle on songs, so I switch it back and forth from D to B. This way I can do pedal tones on the low D without having to fret the note as well...works pretty cool!

• Members

I make the most of it. I LOVE playing in E without using the open string. I also love playing in D and C using the lower scale, especially D. I rarely use the open B, it's a little too much and I prefer to fret notes if I can anyways.

My 4 string Precision feels like a toy now, it's hard to play 4 strings now for me.

C7

Wow, word for word something I could have written...

Yes, I use my 5'er to the fullest, for the same reasons...

I have bought and sold 2 6'ers, the C got little or no use...I'm just not a dyed-in-the-wool soloist, never carried it that far...

And my '78 P-Bass gets no use anymore, because my backup bass is a 5'er also.

• Members

I use a 5 string when I need it, a 4 string when I don't.

5 string bass allows you to get more of the notes Keyboard and synth bass can get, and allows you to play e, Eb and D songs all in one position.

There's no showing off about it. It's a useful tool, if used tastefully.

• Members

guitargod0dmw: The notes all go to B. Look, right across the board, B, C, C# and...

marsguitars: Oh, I see. And most basses go up to E?

guitargod0dmw: Exactly.

marsguitars: Does that mean it's lower? Is it any lower?

guitargod0dmw: Well, it's one lower, isn't it? It's not E. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at E. You're on E here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on E on your bass. Where can you go from there? Where?

marsguitars: I don't know.

guitargod0dmw: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

marsguitars: Put a B-string up.

guitargod0dmw: B-string. Exactly. One lower.

marsguitars: Why don't you just make E lower and make D be the top note and make that a little lower?

guitargod0dmw: [pause] These go down to B.

• Members

I show off with my 5 string by playing in Eb.
:idea:

and i can fret a low E to get vibrato and sustain

+ low D

+ low C

both fretted....:thu:

dont use open strings so the low B i dont tend to use

but...its a good point..another 25% on string cost for just a few notes..and a lot of show off cred..:lol:

try one...you wont regret it

• Members

I was never comfortable on a four-string. For the melodic style I play, inevitably I'd start a run, then have to shift position to finish it, and it just got old.

I think it must be more difficult to go from a 5 to a 4 than the reverse.

I recall the first time I played a 5, it was like opening 5 new doors for me. It was/is great. :thu:

Archived