5-string bass - what's that all about?

marsguitars

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you serious? Of course there is a point to it. First of all, if you string it with a low B, you have access to 5 lower notes than normal. You could string them with a high C...and have access to 5 higher notes than normal. Also, you can play scales easier in upper registers.

5 strings aren't for everybody...but they're pretty much all that I play.

• Members

Are you serious? Of course there is a point to it. First of all, if you string it with a low B, you have access to 5 lower notes than normal. You could string them with a high C...and have access to 5 higher notes than normal. Also, you can play scales easier in upper registers.

I'm beginning to think it's just the same guy(s) with a new handle every week or so, or maybe hacking into another account. There just can't be this many ignorant bass players out there. Guitards, maybe, but c'mon... :freak:

• Members

Before I had a 5er I found it really annoying playing a run going down in Eb and having to jump up to the 6th fret A string instead having the ability to go to the low Eb on the B string. I honestly do not use the B string that much, but its nice to have it there for that reason.

• Members

Of course I know the theory, and it's all good. It's just that I see a lot of 5-string bassists that play exacly the same as on a 4-string. :rolleyes:

So I'll rephrase my original post (and appologise for baiting you five-stringers!)... Do you think you make the most of your 5-string? Or did you buy it thinking it'd be cool but end up playing the same as the ol' 4-string?

(btw, I'm not anti-5sb, just curious) :D

• Members

Of course I know the theory, and it's all good. It's just that I see a lot of 5-string bassists that play exacly the same as on a 4-string.
:rolleyes:

So I'll rephrase my original post (and appologise for baiting you five-stringers!)... Do you think you make the most of your 5-string? Or did you buy it thinking it'd be cool but end up playing the same as the ol' 4-string?

(btw, I'm not anti-5sb, just curious)
:D

I use a 5 string when I need it, a 4 string when I don't.

• Members

Ahhhhh crap... i just listened to a Lug MP3.... I can feel my IQ dropping by the minute, is there any way to make it stop?

As for 5 bangers... I use mine. I enjoy the low C and B options to phatten up later choruses or to really get some booty in the groove....

I jam on my upright with 4 strings, but I'd love a 5er for that too.... that would be sweet.....

• Members

Do you think you make the most of your 5-string? Or did you buy it thinking it'd be cool but end up playing the same as the ol' 4-string?

I use it on most songs. If I had to estimate I'd say it gets about as much use as my G string. The meat and potatoes is on the E, A and D.

Do I make "the most" of it?..I dunno, I guess I could use it more. I could probably play an entire show on just the B string....but that wouldn't be making the most of the bass overall.

I bought it because the songs the band I was in covered at the time required it.

• Members

Do you think you make the most of your 5-string? Or did you buy it thinking it'd be cool but end up playing the same as the ol' 4-string?

I make the most of it. I LOVE playing in E without using the open string. I also love playing in D and C using the lower scale, especially D. I rarely use the open B, it's a little too much and I prefer to fret notes if I can anyways.

My 4 string Precision feels like a toy now, it's hard to play 4 strings now for me.

C7

• Members

Ahhhhh crap... i just listened to a Lug MP3.... I can feel my IQ dropping by the minute, is there any way to make it stop?

As for 5 bangers... I use mine. I enjoy the low C and B options to phatten up later choruses or to really get some booty in the groove....

I jam on my upright with 4 strings, but I'd love a 5er for that too.... that would be sweet.....

The IQ slide shouldn't be too bad, that's a cover of Tony Levin. It's the originals that will take you sub-zero on the IQ chart.

Archived