Bass distortion pedals.

UVguy

• Members

I think Sansamp should be mentioned in this discussion. Whether the pedal or the rackmount RBI, you can shape your bass tone and bring in subtle or over the top fuzz without losing your bottom. The presence control is very useful as well.

I also love the Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive, particularly in conjunction with the sansamp. The control layout is simple genius- Level, a 2 band high/low EQ, Dry/Wet blend, and gain. Gives me problems with feedback at times, but totally solid and versatile.

Big Muff Pi is also great, although limited. It is a very noisy pedal, i.e., you have to really mute all your strings between notes or you get some serious rumbling. I love it for high melody lines and power chords. On the low end it lack definition. For playing more traditional, single note bass lines, ODB-3 is better.

I recently tried out the Sansamp pedal and agree that it is definately one of the best pedals on the market for bass fuzz/OD. Just a bit pricey for me at the time but will definately save my $$$ and get one eventually.

I ended up buying the Boss ODB-3 as has a great simple layout and easy to blend. Great value for $$$ in comparrison with most other pedals and sounds better than most to me anyway.

I tried the big muff, but it's not for me. It just seemed a bit one demensional and couldn't seem to get the right blend I was looking for.

I tried an ashdown bass OD pedal and didn't rate it for the $$. Not a patch on the Sansamp or the boss for tone shaping or blend and just didn't sound good to me.

Sansamp & Boss were definately the best 2 buys.:thu:

• Members

Here's a handy link that I found on another forum. It's got sample clips from a whole host of different distortions/fuzzes with a mini review of each.

It's not totally comprehensive, but can be handy for comparison if nothing else:

Linky

You have provided a great service to the forum sir! :thu:

Archived