Bass distortion pedals.

UVguy

• Members

The "best" is of course the one the user likes the best. Varies greatly from person to person. When concidering bass overdrives and distortions I dont care about its ability to retain the low end. AS I've often found the best dist or OD tone comes from useing a od or dist pedal with a good 6-10 band eq after it that allows me to shape the lows to highs to taste after OD/Dist. Reason for needing at least a 6 band eq after is that very few eqs with less bands have any in the 40-50 Hz range. Critical to get full bass tone. Trick to finding great for you od or dist for bass is pick one whose od/dist char you really like rather then the freq response. Much easier to fix eq after then to improve od/dist char.

• Members

Here's a handy link that I found on another forum. It's got sample clips from a whole host of different distortions/fuzzes with a mini review of each.

It's not totally comprehensive, but can be handy for comparison if nothing else:

Linky

• Members

Digitech X-Series Bass Driver. It's relatively inexpensive and can emulate the tone of a couple different overdrive and distortion units. It also features a wet/dry signal blend, something that I believe is absolutely essential on a bass overdrive pedal.

• Members

I've had quite a few bass drive pedals (about 15 or so) and recommend the following:

Digitech Bass Driver

Sansamp GT2

Dave Hall Amps VT1 Std bass

Fulltone Bass Drive

The last two are currently on my board.

My interest is presently tweaked by this Flipster that Hart has been shilling in TB and HCBF. I also heard good things about the EBS Valvedrive, the English Muff'n and the Epicenter Valveboy.

• Members

Big Muff Pi. It sounds ridiculous, but I've seen at least half a dozen players use it and is sounds really good.

I've got a Big Muff Pi simulation on my Pod XTL, and that sounds good. If it's anything like the real thing, I'll reccomend that too! :thu:

• Members

I think Sansamp should be mentioned in this discussion. Whether the pedal or the rackmount RBI, you can shape your bass tone and bring in subtle or over the top fuzz without losing your bottom. The presence control is very useful as well.

I also love the Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive, particularly in conjunction with the sansamp. The control layout is simple genius- Level, a 2 band high/low EQ, Dry/Wet blend, and gain. Gives me problems with feedback at times, but totally solid and versatile.

Big Muff Pi is also great, although limited. It is a very noisy pedal, i.e., you have to really mute all your strings between notes or you get some serious rumbling. I love it for high melody lines and power chords. On the low end it lack definition. For playing more traditional, single note bass lines, ODB-3 is better.

• Members

I also love the Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive, particularly in conjunction with the sansamp. The control layout is simple genius- Level, a 2 band high/low EQ, Dry/Wet blend, and gain. Gives me problems with feedback at times, but totally solid and versatile.

Big Muff Pi is also great, although limited. It is a very noisy pedal, i.e., you have to really mute all your strings between notes or you get some serious rumbling. I love it for high melody lines and power chords. On the low end it lack definition. For playing more traditional, single note bass lines, ODB-3 is better.

Boo! Hiss!:mad:

Archived