DR Strings..Sunbeams vs LoRiders???

dogman

• Members

can anyone tell me what the actual difference is between these two bass string offerings from DR? I know they are both nickel strings(my prefered type) but what exactly makes them different, how does the sound and feel compare or differ and what is YOUR preference if you use DR and why??

I ask this because I am a longtime GHS bass boomer player but need to change the strings on the used MM Sterling bass I just bought. I know these basses with active controls are suppose to be very flexible with a broad range of sounds when changing the toggle position and bass/mid/trable knobs, however the strings on mine must be 6 feet under DEAD on mine becuase there is absolutely no cut or top end in this thing at all right now! Im assuming its the strings(hoping it is as I love the bass and others Ive played like it in the past)

What is you recommendations for strings on my Sterling(i love the feel of the GHS nickel boomers, just wish they lasted longer) I am mainly a fingerstyle player, though occasionally I use a pick. I very rarely pop and slap with the exception of a few covers we do, so Im looking for a warm punchy tone with good definition and fat lows & clear highs,but not thin or overly bright.How about it people, what would you do?:confused:

• Members

I have never used either, but I have used SS Lo-Riders which are in the same neighborhood tone-wise as the Nickel Lo-Riders, with the nickel version being a touch mellower from my understanding. Actually, I believe Lo-Riders were only available in SS at first, but they are available in nickel now. The SS Lo-Riders are my favorite string for rounds. Tons of low mids, a very aggressive and growly string. They have a nice tight feel to them, so they are great if you slap or tap. They are bright though. REALLY bright. Actually, after they mellow out over a week or two, they sound pretty much perfect and they last FOREVER. My first set of Lo-Riders went through 4 months of regular rehearsals and gigging and stayed sounding great almost the whole time. I used to change strings monthly before these. I would imagine that the Nickel Lo-Riders, being less bright than the SS, would work for you. They will still be bright, but not overly so like the SS.

I have no experience with Sunbeams, but a lot of folks RAVE over them. They seem as though they would be too mellow sounding for me, but I haven't tried them and don't feel compelled to since I like the Lo-Riders so much. Hope this helps.

• Members

after some more research I did find out that the Sunbeams are roundcore while the Lo-Riders are hexcore, but thats the only difference I was able to figure out. How would this effeect both the sound AND the feel of them?:confused:

• Members

hexcore have more stiffness to them, while roundcore have a looser feel. Not sure about any other differences, sorry you aren't getting more help. If, I'm going to guess by your username, you like a Kings-X type of sound, I think the Lo-Riders will own. They have really strong mids.

• Members

I use lo-rider SS on all of my basses. I really like their tension...they are a little stiffer than other strings I have used. They seem to be lasting a long time as well.

I was a diehard EB Slinky user...but they were going dead faster than I could afford to buy new strings...so I had to try out other options.

The lo-riders really seem to cut through in the mix very well. I also really like the way the low B feels on my 5ers...

• Members

thanks guys for the help, and yes Im a huge King's X dUg Pinnick fan. I like a softer tension like on GHS boomers as opposed to say the Rotosound Swing 66's but if the tension is only slightly higher and not like trying to bend high tension lines ala Godzilla, then the Lo-Riders and the Sunbeams sound like the real deal.

Has anyone out there used both the nicked LoRiders AND the Sunbeams and can you give your impression of the differences sonically and feelwise too?

• Members

I went through a similar progression. GHS Boomers to DR Lo Riders to Sunbeams. I love the midrange of the Sunbeams, there is a slight difference from the Lo Riders. They didn't feel different.

thanks Real MC, how was the mids different(i.e. which one had stronger mids or was there a difference in the growl, etc..?)

Archived