How to defret a neck and refinish as a fretless....

• Members

I know some folks out there have got the real know-how on this. Kindness maybe?? In any event, might be getting a new neck for my SX, so why not? Also, any prefences on the fretboard material for fretless? I'll have a rosewood and a maple neck for the SX, so i can defret either...

Enlighten me oh low-end brethren...

• Moderators

On an SX, between maple and rosewood, go with the rosewood. No finish issues to deal with.

I can certainly help, start with that link that rummy gave you and ask any questions you might have. I have not read the link yet, but will some point soon to make sure it doesn't lead you astray.

• Moderators

isn't ebony a good fretless neck? I see that a lot of violins and cellos have ebony necks, so they more than likely would sound delicious!

Ebony is a very hard wood, does not to be finished and is the preferred wood for fretless by most luthiers.

• Members

Ebony would be the preferred fingerboard for a fretless bass.

you will want to buy a set of fret pullers to pull the frets to minimize damaging the finger board.

a little trick I have done before was making the fret slots wider and inlaying purfiling into the slots.

the fingerboard looked magnificant after it was completed.

Archived