G&L ASAT or EBMM?

baracuda2004

• Members

I've got the money(kinda). I remember seeing a greenish ASAT on here with an arrow on it and it was freaking beautiful but I can't remember who had it. But i've been gassin for an EBMM forever.. I just don't know which i'm leaning more towards right now. Which would you choose?

• Members

G&Ls and EBMMs get compared a lot, sharing the Fender heritage. Totally different in my opinion.

G&Ls lean much more to the Fender side soundwise; sort of a Fender on steroids with the active/passive--series/parallel options. Lots of sounds in there; all based on the P or J sound. Tone controls are passive and cut only.

EBMMs have that distinct, active, sound that is unmistakeable. If you like that sound, nothing else will do. Don't try to get it anywhere else. Much more control over the EQ.

My vote is EBMM, having owned both. That is because I like that fundamental EBMM sound that no one else has.

• Members

Was it Texas with that green semi-hollow ASAT with the arrows pointing at the pups?

I absolutely love that Musicman sound, but as beautiful as the ASAT looks i've never been able to hear enough of one to fall for it tonally. So i'll probably be trying to find an EBMM that speaks to me pretty soon.

• Members

I'm a little biased too...but I'm still gonna tell you to get an EBMM...

If you love that sound, there really is no substitute! If you want to be able to have other options for tones as well, get an HH or an HS. My HH is very versatile...and can get a bunch of very good tones.

• Members

What size neck do you prefer? The ASAT can be had in two different "J" sizes as well as a2 "P" sizes. I prefer the L2000 (same electronics) over the ASAT because of the balance.

Size doesn't really matter to me. The Geddy Lee Fender neck or the T-40 are probably the best i've played so whatever I buy i'm probably going with maple..

Archived