Willsellout's SWTF? thread

willsellout

• Members

Seriously what the {censored} is this? Is he serious?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schecter-Custom-Shop-5-string-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ330157788544QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No one is going to pay 4 grand for a Schecter. I've been watching this auction and each time it ends with zero bids. 3 weeks so far, I am waiting to see how many times it will take for him to lower the price.

Dan

• Members

This is why you have to really know what you want before you order a CUSTOM custom. Just cuz you;re endorsed by brand X don;t mean they can make you something that is the same as brand Y.

totally. I mean I know when you get a custom you shouldn't take resale into the equation but I do anyway. I'm not going to pay 4 grand for a schecter custom because the resale is {censored}. It may be a wonderfull bass but no one will ever know because they aren't willing to take the hit either. It's just funny when I see auctions like this. It seems everyone in the universe knows it's not going to sell except the guy selling it.

Dan

• Members

But... . but.... it's CUSTOM!

and it's from really old wood! That's gotta be worth something.

Seriously whats up with the old wood? Why would you pay extra for it? Anything that's been aging and stabilizing for a couple years will be perfect I would think.

Dan

• Members

But... . but.... it's CUSTOM!

and it's from really old wood! That's gotta be worth something.

So, how does one know how old your wood is in your guitar?

Moreover, so what? Has there been studies that reveal old wood is more rich and resonant that relatively newer wood? WTF?

I know a little about wood but I'm not sure I could tell by looking at, say, a slab of maple grain and be able to tell if it is 30 years or 70 years aged.

the word 'Custom' = big bucks ;)

• Members

I like it, I'd rock it.. Might just be a victim of circumstances, though... remember when Schecter was a custom builder and you only saw folks with $$ playing them?? Unfortunately for the seller the fact taht its American doesn't make it that much different from it's Korean counterparts (which are awesome, BTW) ... So he bought it before the $500 versions were available... That's my guess, if he put it up 5 years ago he might have been fine selling it at that price....

• Members

So, how does one know how old your wood is in your guitar?

Moreover, so what? Has there been studies that reveal old wood is more rich and resonant that relatively newer wood? WTF?

I know a little about wood but I'm not sure I could tell by looking at, say, a slab of maple grain and be able to tell if it is 30 years or 70 years aged.

the word 'Custom' = big bucks
;)

Yeah, I don't get it either. I've never seen anything to convince me that old wood is good wood. Don't Washburn build a series of instruments out of ancient wood collected from the bed of Lake Tahoe or something?

I guess in an acoustic or a violin or something it would make a noticable difference. In an electric instrument, I am less convinced.

However my expertise in the field is... limited, to say the least.

• Members

Yeah, I don't get it either. I've never seen anything to convince me that old wood is good wood. Don't Washburn build a series of instruments out of ancient wood collected from the bed of Lake Tahoe or something?

I guess in an acoustic or a violin or something it would make a noticable difference. In an electric instrument, I am less convinced.

However my expertise in the field is... limited, to say the least.

I saw a DIY program on TV where these guys were rescuing old logs from the bottom of a river. They were remnants from a long past logging industry and these had sunk from being waterlogged. Some were over 200 years ols. Now, they are rescued for cabinet making and they command some big bucks for the wood. It is beautiful stuff, no doubt.

However, whats more beautiful than a rich grain tiger eye maple, ash, koa, walnut, or pao ferro wood at less than 1/4 the price of that bass?

Archived