what's the deal w/ HDTV.....

chris-dax

• Members

my mom's standard definition tv just crapped out so we're thinking about getting her a new one...

she's 91 y/o and has cataracs so a regular old stand def tv would be fine....

but what will happen when the new broadcast standards are in place...?

When is that supposed to happen and will a standard def tv be completely useless at that point...?

thanks....c-d

• Members

You can buy a standard TV just fine right now. As of March 2007, all new TV's are supposed to have digital tuners, but there is an off-chance that you'll find NOS analog TV's with no digital tuners still in stores.

However, as of February 2009, you'll need to purchase an additional digital tuner/converter box to receive over-the-air HDTV signals on a regular, analog TV. Not a huge issue, but it will introduce another remote and something else to turn on for your mom at that point in time.

In short, if it has a digital tuner in it, it should be usable into the future. HD resolutions and picture quality and size are the other factors that will depend on your needs and budget.

I'm just not looking forward to replacing our cameras, NLE and content delivery system here at work to go to HDTV...

• Members

You mom deserves a 60" hi-def TV just for putting up with you!
:mad:

she definitely does....

but she'll be all like...."back in my day we didn't HAVE hdtv....and WE LIKED IT THAT WAY....:mad:

plus she has limited space in her swinging singles crib....it's posh and dope but not spacious...

• Members

My sister just got one a few months ago. Personally, I don't see too much of a difference, but then I'm not one of those people who obsesses over the clarity of every blade of grass on-screen while I'm watching Lost. Video-games look amazing on it, as do animated DVDs, but I find that for general viewing the difference is negligable. Maybe that's just me. Maybe I need new glasses.

• Members

My sister just got one a few months ago. Personally, I don't see too much of a difference, but then I'm not one of those people who obsesses over the clarity of every blade of grass on-screen while I'm watching Lost. Video-games look amazing on it, as do animated DVDs, but I find that for general viewing the difference is negligable. Maybe that's just me. Maybe I need new glasses.

You won't really notice a whole lot of difference between TV in HD (unless it's a really good HD broadcast) and an SD...movies and games are where it currently excels.

• Members

...if it has a digital tuner in it, it should be usable into the future. HD resolutions and picture quality and size are the other factors that will depend on your needs and budget.

thanks IWLP....that's what I was looking for....so any tv she likes that has a digital tuner will work under the new standards...

now all I've got to do is survive a trip to Best Buy with a 91 y/o....:freak:

• Members

You will on my HDTV.

On HD programming it will, as you well know.

Unfortunately, not everyone who buys a HDTV knows that not all programming (and really, not a lot yet) is broadcast in HDTV. So there's some people who think they're getting HDTV when it's just a SD signal.

And just because we got to digital broadcasting doesn't mean everything will be in HD...it'll just be digital, which is how most stuff is produced now before it's converted to analog to go over the air.

• Members

On HD programming it will, as you well know.

Unfortunately, not everyone who buys a HDTV knows that not all programming (and really, not a lot yet) is broadcast in HDTV. So there's some people who think they're getting HDTV when it's just a SD signal.

And just because we got to digital broadcasting doesn't mean everything will be in HD...it'll just be digital, which is how most stuff is produced now before it's converted to analog to go over the air.

I agree with you, but will say that even SD looks better on my new TV than the earlygen HDTV that it replaced.

• Members
I'm really thinking about just buying it for her as a present and having it delivered to her house....

she's never gonna buy a decent tv for herself so that just might be the best way to go...

And if you do, remember there's a difference between a television and a monitor. A television has a built-in tuner, which should be digital. A monitor requires a separate, outboard tuner. Monitors are usually cheaper, but a TV is what you want.

Archived