New Job - New suprises

whoneedstherapy

• Members

Hey Guys,

Just scored myself a new job in the shipping / forwarding industry down here. After negotiating a salary i thought was quite nice (about 20% pay rise) i find out today while signing the contract that the figure negotiated does not include super and it's additional so thats an extra 9% or so destined for my hip pocket!!

Very stoked!

• Members

I'm not sure if they have something similar setup in the states but down here by law if your a full time employee the employer must contribute the minimum equivalent to 9% of your salary to a "superannuation fund". Super is basically a retirement fund that most financial companies provide and invest in a wide portfolio etc. The idea is obviously to have a decent whack available when you retire so you don't have to bludge money from the government.

If you actually work for the government (for politicians at least) it's changed from 9% to some ridiculous figure so the old pollies can maintain their way of life. At some stages the government will also offer incentives to get younger people to invest by matching the amount of money they put into super as a voluntary contribution, to a max of $1000.

So effectively i got myself an additional 9% pay rise i hadn't even counted on.:thu:

• Members

I just woke up, so I'm a little slow at the moment, so I have to ask....super?

I was going to ask the same thing. :D

I had something strange like this happen the other day. I came to work to find out that payroll/hr/whoever decided that I was being paid less than my coworkers, so I got a $1/hr raise. Weird, but fine with me! :) This comes just a couple months after my last real raised of .50c/hr, so it was certainly well received... except it made me start to question how much my asshole coworkers were making! :mad::mad:

:eek:

• Members

I'm not sure if they have something similar setup in the states but down here by law if your a full time employee the employer must contribute the minimum equivalent to 9% of your salary to a "superannuation fund". Super is basically a retirement fund that most financial companies provide and invest in a wide portfolio etc. The idea is obviously to have a decent whack available when you retire so you don't have to bludge money from the government.

Sounds kinda like our 401K...

Archived