Musicman Bongo's

Azz301

• Members

I looooove the look of them.

Is there any specific differences (besides the looks) between them and the stingrays? They sound generally the same, or are they another beast entirely?

How are they viewed compared to a stringray?

I was thinking about a 4HH.... almost exactly like this one, except not right now (don't have the cash, saving for a Genz Benz 1200 first!)

How do they go for metal? Specifically, Drop-C tuned, mudvayne-esque metal. The guitarist refuses to do any lead work, which is fine by me! I get to stand somewhat nearer to a spotlight now!! ;)

• Members

They are different than a Stingray. They have ceramic pickups in them and a different pre amp. SR's have alnico pickups. You can get a close SR tone, but not exactly the same.

I personally love them and I think it would do great for metal. The old Chvelle bass player used one for a little while too...so that should tell you about the drop tuning. He always sounded really good.

• Members

They are different than a Stingray. They have ceramic pickups in them and a different pre amp. SR's have alnico pickups. You can get a close SR tone, but not exactly the same.

I personally love them and I think it would do great for metal. The old Chvelle bass player used one for a little while too...so that should tell you about the drop tuning. He always sounded really good.

yeah I was going to say doesn't Chevelle use T'birds?

• Members

Bongos have Neodymium pickups, not ceramic. They sound similar, to my ears to ceramic.

The preamp is awesome, and at 18v, very very powerful. Lots of headroom.

Bongos get trashed a lot for their looks, but I think that is because they look odd when hanging vertically, like in a music shop. They look much better and less awkward when being played. Very sleek. Perhaps Ernie Ball should have shops display them on their sides?

The single humbucker Bongo can get very close to a Stingray sound.

• Members

From my limited experience with Bongos and Stingrays, I'd say that the Bongo has a much smoother tone to my ears, whereas the SR has a more aggressive sound. The Bongo I played was as smooth as butter in tone and playability. I thought they were totally goofy-looking and strange beasts, but now that I've played one, I want one!

Dustin

• Members

How are the $$s? I remember playing one at Guitar Center maybe a year ago. Sounded great. Heavy as {censored} and the neck was beastly? Other than that I loved it, I think.

Yeah they seem to run a little on the heavy side, in my experience....

• Members

OK - Desert Gold is the colour. I figured all my other basses are dark, so I should get something to brighten my collection up! Even the missus said "ooo that looks pretty!" Haven't considered a pickguard for it yet, i'd prefer to see the options in person.

now... the important questions... single humbucker, HS, or HH config? To Piezo or not to Piezo? What are the pros and cons?

Decisions decisions...

Its gotta suit drop-c tuned metal, but I want some character to the sound. There is only one guitarist in the band, and I take most of the creative liberties and flair in the sound. I'd go insane playing root notes, and busting out a little slap in the audition won me the spot!!

The local music store only has the single humbuckers currently in stock, hence my dilemma.

Archived