Power Conditioner Rack Users: Do you unplug your rig after your done?

Apendecto

• Members

My rack has a "power conditioner" (:D) in it and all my gear is plugged into that. The amp and tuner are always switched on but I'll turn everything on with the on/off switch the power conditioner has.

When I turn the outlets on the power conditioner off, there is still an led reading of the incoming voltage. Since I don't play that rig very often, I unplug the power conditioner from the wall. I know led's last forever but am I going overboard? Do you guys unplug or just switch off?

Yo.

• Members

If you live in an area that has lightning storms, I would definitely unplug. Power conditioners do not protect against a lightning strike.

I always unplug because I don't want to take any chances.

+1

There's zero chance of an electrical anomaly hurting your gear if it isn't plugged in.

• Members

+1

There's zero chance of an electrical anomaly hurting your gear if it isn't plugged in.

Words to live by.

I unplug as well as switch off my power conditioner, but it's not rack mount either.

• Members

I usually just switch it off, works well enough?

Until it doesn't.

My neighbor's house was struck by lightning last week. He had everything important plugged into Belkin surge protectors. He is now TV, stereo and computer shopping. If the amp is plugged in at my house, my insurance will cover it, but if it happens at someone else's house, it gets a little tricky.

• Members

On Belkin's dime?

Actually, I think so. He mentioned that he had spent money on the quality units and sent in the product registration forms, so they are going to pay for it. If they failed to, his home owner's insurance would cover the cost.

Personally, I'd rather just keep my current stuff.

• Members

If you live in an area that has lightning storms, I would definitely unplug. Power conditioners do not protect against a lightning strike.

I always unplug because I don't want to take any chances.

That's what I figured, too. We've had a few microwaves nuked due to lightning.

Yo.

Archived