Another Bass Newb

scottder

• Members

Frank the Bunny from the movie Donnie Darko.
:thu:

Yeah, I tend to throw random pointless quotes and scenes from Donnie Darko into my posts when I'm talking to Kindness and have no valid input for the thread. I swear this storm looks like it might just have a wormhole...now only to find the jet...

• Moderators

leave the pick for the guitar. dig in fingerstyle from the get go.

Boo! :p

There are lots of bassists that believe this and I am no one to tell them they shouldn't, but I sure don't believe it. Learn to play your bass every way possible, with your fingers, your thumb, a pick, your elbow, a shoe, a trashcan... :thu:

• Members

Boo!
:p

There are lots of bassists that believe this and I am no one to tell them they shouldn't, but I sure don't believe it. Learn to play your bass every way possible, with your fingers, your thumb, a pick, your elbow, a shoe, a trashcan...
:thu:

i really like the freedom of playing with out a pick. it allows a bassist many more options than just one piece of plastic hitting the strings. although two of the best in my book, phil lesh and mike gordon, play with picks. i never botherd to emulate their style at all.

the aspect that drew me away from the guitar was the connection you get with an instrument without a pick and the driving rythms and syncopation that can be created on the bass. i tried playing with a pick many times and i dont find the same connection with the bass as i do with my pointer and middle finger. its the tits.

• Members

-LISTEN TO JACO AND OTHER BASS MUSIC

First of all, hello scottder, I just signed up myself a few weeks ago. A useful forum indeed.

Jaco truly did some extraordinary things with his instrument and certainly was a unique musician. So are Michael Manring, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller and so on. Listening to these musicians will somehow undoubtedly expand and change your vision of bass playing. However, straight from the beginning of your playing career, be critical when listening. There's more about Jaco than his amazing technique and Victor Wooten sure knows more than how to just slap or tap. I know people who have gotten themselves somewhat messed up musically when they first started to listen to virtuosos and didn't really get past the technical side.

And finally, just be honest with yourself.

• Members

First of all, hello scottder, I just signed up myself a few weeks ago. A useful forum indeed.

Jaco truly did some extraordinary things with his instrument and certainly was a unique musician. So are Michael Manring, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller and so on. Listening to these musicians will somehow undoubtedly expand and change your vision of bass playing. However, straight from the beginning of your playing career, be critical when listening. There's more about Jaco than his amazing technique and Victor Wooten sure knows more than how to just slap or tap. I know people who have gotten themselves somewhat messed up musically when they first started to listen to virtuosos and didn't really get past the technical side.

And finally, just be honest with yourself.

The thing with getting hooked with virtusos is you get hooked one trying to play like that. Not always a bad thing, but you should always start with the simple stuff. All guitarists alaways learn that "Smoke on the Water" riff, and move on to harder things. Start smal and easy, practice a ton. And one more thing, LEARN TO READ MUSIC BEFORE TABS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi,

i'm basically a self-taught guitarist but needed a bass to multitrack some ideas: i first tried a copy 'Fender Jazz' i think it was, then the (used) RBX170 - i can't believe how playable it is? i always thought of basses as great lumbering things :lol: but this is light and perfectly balanced: i am totally won over - a real pleasure to jam along on ...

the tech back-up is good also

;)

R

• 4 months later...
  • Members

One of the simplest, cheapest and easiest ways to help you get better is to listen to a lot of music with prominent bass. If you're feeling adventurous, even try playing along with some. While lessons may not work for you right now, if you do get some time you should definitely consider them. Other than that, there are a lot of great resources on the web for beginning bass guitar players.

Archived